Nostalgia

Written by Jun 14, 2006 11:06
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Overview of a Chinese Experience

I have just returned home after a magic 6 weeks in China. My work [I was not a tourist!] to me from Hong Kong to Macau, Guangzhou, Beijing, Yanji, Jilin, Shenyang, Zhengzhou, Wuhan - back to Guangzhou and home.

From the moment I began to the moment I flew off from China, the experience just swept me along and I relished every moment of it. In other Chapters I hope to describe the trip in more detail. This just an overview.

What stands out in my memory is the overall courtesy of the people, the discipline in their living, the devotion to duty, the cleanliness.

With China opening up to the world as the Olympics approach, I hope the world will enter with respect and learn the many lessons that China has to teach it.

Guangzhou

Guangzhou, formerly Canton, is a huge industrial city on the Pearl River. It is a mere two hours from Macau by bus. The bus serves most of the big hotels - depending on the company your choose. The bigger companies are Kee Kwan and CTS. The fare from Macau varies between Yuan 55-70.

One of the fascinating corners of the city is the island of Shamian, the old French quarter. It still retains its French ambience. The is a little church there which dates back to the olden days. It is still a favourite for marriage ceremonies.

Shamian is served by many buses from the centre of the city. A taxi ride will set you back Yuan 10-12. There is a metro station nearby.

Guangzhou at night is particularly beautiful. From the top floor of the Landmark Hotel, one gets a splendid panoramic view of the River and its well-lit bridges.

I strongly recommend a visit to Guangzhou. Incidentally, for English speakers, there is a very profession Guangzhou English Channel, the first of its kind in China.

More Other Travel Reviews
1. President for the People BENJAMIN from CN May 25, 2006 03:05
2. When Best Laid Plans go Astray MISHEN from NZ May 5, 2006 01:05
3. On China's Threshhold KEVINWARDCFC from IE Apr 26, 2006 09:04
Comments (2)

Jun 15, 2006 20:19 Reply

MAY001 said:

Finished? Waiting for the coming chapter

Jun 15, 2006 06:44 Reply

PINETREE said:

Welcome back to the Forum, Kevin. We await your follow-ups on your visit to China.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.