My Experience in Shanghai

Written by Dec 27, 2007 01:44
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

My experience in Shanghai has worsened over the years – this trip being THE WORST. First of all, people are extremely rude. It is ironic that when I left Pudong Airport, there were big billboards indicating the friendliness of Shanghai city and people. “Shanghai Welcome You” and “Welcome to Shanghai”. Then, I hear people cussing at each other everywhere; men and women yelling at each other; men pushing the old and shoving the young on the street. In the mall, people watch you everywhere you go as if you are about to steal something. Then, when I start asking questions, people give me the worst attitude – often with a node or a head shake. The sales lady either urges you to buy their product or cusses you for missing bargaining opportunities.
My biggest concern is the chaotic and violent cars roaming on the roads of Shanghai, like a herd of angry bulls. I have witnessed several bicycles and motorcycles running over people – all hit and run cases. I personally have experienced a hit and run bicycle and car accident. I was lucky in the bicycle accident that nothing more than my watch was smashed into pieces. Yet, I was not so lucky in the car accident.
It was 1:00pm at the corner of Yucai Middle School, a car made a right turn and hit my right arm. At that time, I was holding two bags of tea and a pillow in my right hand and my grandmother’s hand in my left hand. My grandmother, who’s 79, stood on my left. I tapped the car with the pillow and tea on my right hand. The car stopped. Two men got out of the car and rushed toward me. I asked in Chinese, “Do you know that you almost hit this old lady?” Never mind the car hitting my arm, I was more concerned about the car running over my grandmother. One men shouted in Chinese, “What the fuck do you know, little girl?” He raised his arm and attempted to slap me. I blocked with my right arm while my grandmother tried to protect me by standing in front of the savage animal. He shouted more. I was in complete shock by this moment. All I heard was loud shouting and something about his car. I became light headed and faintly saw security guards from nearby companies watching all the commotions. My grandmother immediately apologized, fearing that the two men might become even more violent. I, being a skinny 90lb woman and my grandmother, a 85lb 79 years old women, we couldn’t possibly protect ourselves. The two men walked around their car to see what damages I have done with a pillow, two bags of tea, and my naked hand. Then, they hopped on their car continue to cuss at my grandmother and me. I was outraged and even more ashamed of what had happened. To them, life is worthless, nothing more than a car. Shanghai, the most modern city in China, portrays the jungle. It is a true world of the survival of the fittest. People are mere savages. The young, the weak, the old, and the women are being oppressed by the stronger beings. There is no signs of Confucius teachings of filial piety, respect for the elders, and the protection of the young. 5,000 years of Chinese history taught the Shanghainess people to be animals. I pity those people because I know that they will one day become old and will go through similar experiences. After all, their children and grandchildren grow up in a similar environment and face a similar type of people.

More Shanghai Travel Reviews
1. Shanghai experience STARSTYLERS Nov 6, 2007 06:00
2. A Trip in Shanghai LIZXLI from CN Jul 1, 2007 06:07
3. My observations INCOGNITO777 Jun 15, 2007 04:06
Comments (7)

Feb 9, 2020 16:14 Reply

Mr.KEN from USA said:

Well, the issue that I've been seeing in the posts above is quite a different one; a lot of people seemed to have approached strangers and gotten scammed in some way. To Mr. Tomas from Slovakia, common sense dictates that you shouldn't go drink at a bar with two random girls--especially after Mr. Jack (from Aussie) said that all Chinese street women are players. It's your fault for being opportunistic (horny) and getting the wrong end of the stick.

And the perspective that China is a "shitty" place is just ridiculous. The people that suffered were very unfortunate but placing a connection between China and feces is just wrong.

If you are a foreigner (and look obviously like a foreigner), you will be placed on the radar for potential scamming. That is because Chinese scammers know that foreigners don't know much Chinese and what prices should be. Expect the stated price to always be much higher than the real price. When you feel that a price is unreasonable, feel free to bargain. Chinese people are always surprised when foreigners bargain for prices and will often give you a fairly good bargain.

Another foreigner tip is that you should remain low-key about your English usage (or whatever language you speak) in public, especially in rural and impoverished areas. To opportunistic scammers and exploiters, a person that uses English or a foreign language is a rich man (or woman) and is probably foolish as well.

China (especially Shanghai) is NOT for the faint of heart. Be careful of how you tread in the slum areas. Don't flaunt your blonde hair and blue eyes and fancy white shoes in the slums, because that's just asking to be robbed. I'm not saying that you can't act chill and have fun in China but PLEASE try to stick to downtown/metro Shanghai if you want to be safe. Downtown Shanghai is actually one of the safest areas in China (strangely) because of how many police there are. So please do your preparations and res

Aug 31, 2015 03:26 Reply

Mr.INDIA said:

Worst ever experience of shangai. We were staying in swissotel. one guy outside hotel took us for massage..n..there 4 guys looted us of all our cash. Horrible experience. some place named night shift. Big language problem, rude people, taxi problem, cheaters. Would never visit again..n...wont recomend to anyone.

Jan 21, 2010 11:12 Reply

IDASOFIE said:

well i dont agree, shanghai is one of most most amazing places in china! The people are so different from us, but nice ofc not every one.
But well how would you feel if a person from china came to ask you about something in your shop and the person speaked chinese to you, wouldn't you just try to show that you couldn't understand it?
chinese people are extremely bad at english.. and that is the reason for why they are reaction like that when you ask..
And when you walk around YOU have to remember that you look completely different from them, you are like an alien. some of them havn't seen "white" people so ofc they stare!!.. its the same when chinese people come to europe or whereever they go, people from the country stare at them.. so i really cant see your problem, i think you should try to be more open minded about other cultures.
i lived in shanghai for almost 2 years, and it was so amazing to live there!!!
You are the impolite one!

Nov 3, 2013 12:43
Mr.JACK from Australia replied:

Shanghai is a shit place to visit and it's not the right place to have fun don't ever talk to girls that they approach you as they all layers and they after your money. They are ruthless ripoff and thief's. Don't think china there is nothing hear to see.

Dec 19, 2012 12:06 Reply

Mr.TOMAS from Slovakia said:

I was in shanghai twice.
Frist and last time.

I have to say, that most of people do not know, that in china is a big censorship, so it is hard to find something bad on the internet about china.

i have very bad experience with two girls in Nanjing road. I went with them eat to the restaurant. they have started to drink whiskey, so I have had look on the price list and one bottle was about 600 Yuan. so I said ok. they gave me bill where was about 1000yuan, but I found few days later, that they have charged me 10000Yuan. I found on my creditcard notic, which was late, so now am I solving this with my bank.

SO NEVER GO EAT TO NANJING ROAD especially with two girls "on holiday", "students"...

Be very careful what you are paying, better never use credit card in china.

I hope, that I will not have to go to china anymore.

And about the chinese people... some of them are nice, but most of them are very rude.

Oct 19, 2011 20:23 Reply

Mr.ANONYMOUS said:

Don't come back to Shanghai. You are obviously not welcome.

Page 1 of 2PreviousNext

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.