Private 2 day tour in Beijing

Written by Apr 10, 2007 01:04
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

We just came back from a trip to Beijing from 4/1/07 to 4/8/07. We booked a 2-day private tour thru ineedhotel.com This tour did not follow the confirmed itinerary they emailed me.

1. They took us to Juyongguan at the Great Wall instead of the famous Badaling because Juyongguan is closer to Beijing. Because I traveled with two small children, it was hard for me to climb the steps to the top to see the view. Be aware, the steps at Juyongguan are very steep and high. But if you don't climb to the top, you won't be able to see the main view. I suggest going to Badaling because there is a toboggan sled available that will take you to see the spectacular view up high and bring you back to the exit.

2. On each day, they took us to two places for shopping. Those places are sponsored by the government and they give huge commission to the travel agency/ tour guide. The prices at these places are triple than the prices at other local stores. The tour required that we stay at least 40 minutes at each stopping spot, otherwise they will be fined. This is really a waste of time. We did not make any purchase on the first day, and the tourguide seemed to be upset. When I bought a small bag (75g) of tea (140rmb) at a tea house on the second day, the tourguide had a big smile when he walked us out to the parking lot. Until now, I still don't know if this mandatory shopping schedule is made by the tour guide, or the tour company.

3. The tour guide's English may not be as fluent as you would expect. Strong accents, difficult to understand. Our tour guide constantly bragged on his English studies and his hard work, giving us reminders to give him a big tip. (After awhile, this became annoying!)

4. The Peking Roast Duck dinner included in the tour was at a small local restaurant, not the famous Quan Ju De Restaurant. All of the other meals provided in this tour consisted of basic chinese food at small restaurants..

This is my personal experience that I would like to share with you if you are planning to arrange a private tour in China. Make sure you choose a good travel website, check their reviews and reconfirm your itinerary when you first meet with your tourguide. Good Luck!

More Beijing Travel Reviews
1. <a>Beijing: A Weekend Whirlwind ICTHUS17 from US Jan 31, 2007 12:01
2. Beijing during the Spring Festival -- Part 2 CHYNAGYRL from CA Nov 18, 2006 15:11
3. Beijing during the Spring Festival -- Part I CHYNAGYRL from CA Nov 17, 2006 11:11
Comments (1)

Apr 10, 2007 02:51 Reply

ANTHEA said:

Yes, I do agree with you. Choosing a reliable travel agent is very important. I've checked the website of indeedhotel.com, and found there are no travel imformation for visitors at all, only their tour itineraries, so I don't think it's a good website. Seems that tehy only want to sell goods but do not want to serve visitors.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.