Guangzhou in My Eye

Written by Mrs. BING Feb 9, 2010 18:49
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

I was once lived in Guangzhou for like half a year. In this page, I would like to say the dining, shopping, transportation as well as several places I went and I love.

Dining: When it comes to dining, the first thing that jumps into my mind is the morning tea definitely. I have a lot of interest in tea culture of Guangzhou, especially Kungfu Tea. I bought a tea set and made tea on my own at leisure. It felt relaxed and mellow, sometimes a little drunk. Besides morning tea, there are still noon tea and evening tea. Early in my stay in Guangzhou, a friend asked me for morning tea. You know what I did? I ate breakfast. And my friend laughed at me. Then I found out that morning in Guangzhou is not simply tea but tea with deserts, tasty and delicate. One thing to remember is that tea water of the first time is used to wash the tea cup, not for drinking until the second time. Other that tea, Laohuo Soup is another speciality. The soup is made with several materials including traditional Chinese medicinal materials. Guangzhou people use to take soup before dinner.

Shopping: For amateurs and addicts alike, Guangzhou is replete with shopping options, whatever you are looking for and whatever your budget. If you are searching for high-end products, go to Friendship Store and Libo Plaza. Bus if you prefer bargains, go to Shangxiajiu or Beijing Lu. For a complete cultural experience, go to Beijing Lu. Beijing Lu is well-known to seeming all of Guangzhou's taxi drivers, so getting there should present absolutely no problem. My Beijing Lu initiation coincided with the Spring Festival holiday. It is not exaggeratory for me to use the word "people mountain people sea". However, the excited buzz, colorful decorations and a wonderful dragon dance all added to a quite memorable experience. We found a full range of imported and domestic electrical goods, brand name clothing, and cosmetics. There were also a full array of stalls and indoor markets. Remember not to accept the first price! If you find a stall you like a lot, get a name card with the address printed in Chinese so that you can find your way back.

Transportation: Buy a map when you go to Guangzhou for the first time. Public buses in Guangzhou are all air-conditioned with a fare of 2RMB. Most of them are nice and without tickets clerks. With the transportation cars, Yang Cheng Tong, you can ride on buses and subway.

Places I like: Baiyunshan, or White Cloud Mountain, is regarded as one of the "Eight Sites of Guangzhou". It is roughly 20 minutes from the city center by taxi. The journey should coast around 25-30 RMB without traffic jam. Bargain before setting off if you are traveling during peak times. It is a lovely spot to breathe fresh air and enjoy a leisurely walk with friends. Entrance is cheap at just 5RMB. For those who do not feel particularly energetic, take a 25RMB cable car to the summit. There is also a restaurant en route to the summit, and a range of moderately priced snacks can be enjoyed. Guangdong University of Foreign Studies is another place I like. It is just 5 minutes' walk from the entrance of Baiyunshan. I just enjoy my stroll in this charming university. Last but not the least, Shamian Island is great. Get off at Metro Station Huangsha, and you are a stone's throw from Shamian. Lots of newly-wed couples took wedding photos there. The architectures of the Island are western style. The pace is slow and everything felt just right and goody.

More Guangzhou Travel Reviews
1. Experience the Local Life in Guangzhou SUPERGIRL Jan 31, 2010 19:31
2. One Night in Guangzhou TRAVELINGINCHINA from China Dec 28, 2009 02:51
3. Food YIPROUJUN Dec 25, 2007 21:25
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.