Personal Suggestions about Beijing Travel 

Written by Mar 17, 2010 21:55
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Being a foreigner who has visited Beijing many times, I would say Beijing is really a must for a China tour, although I had some bad experience during my stay in Beijing. Hereunder, I’d like to put forward some suggestions for those who are planning to tour Beijing especially for those who are planning to travel by themselves.

Food: Beijing Roasted duck does worth a try, though you may regret for having it. There is a dime a dozen of restaurants selling roasted duck in Beijing, but only a few of them could offer you authentic roasted duck such as Quanjude and Bianyifang.

Accommodation: You'd better not stay at the hotel the taxi drivers suggested, or you will possibly pay for more, since you may have to pay additional fees for the taxi derivers' middleman's fee. The best way is to book the hotel in advance. Meanwhile, you'd better choose a regular hotel in order to be safe, which can refer to the comments on the website of a reliable agency.

Transport: It is not safe to take a taxi at the railway station or airport, since the taxi drivers there are a rather motley group, you are possibly be cheated. You should take the subway or the airport shuttle bus to the city and then take a taxi to your hotel.

Must-see Attractions: Great Wall (Badaling, Simatai, Jinshanling & Mutianyu), Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven. If you can get up early, I advise you the dawn flag raising ceremony at the Tiananmen Square which is really magnificent.

Shopping: Some shopping areas of Beijing are also good for sightseeing such as the Xiushui Street Wangfujing, Xidan, and Panjiayuan. You'd better not buy souvenirs at the scenic spots. I advise you buy them at any of the shopping areas above. Meanwhile, be aware that bargaining is a rule at many markets and back-street small stores in Beijing. The initial price offered by the seller is usually at least 40% over (or even 50% over for foreigners) the general price acceptable that the seller could sell it.

Entertainment: Beijing Opera is inevitable if you want to learn Beijing culture more. Although you may not understand it, you may feel it with heart. If you don't like the noise in the theater, you may go to Sanlitun Bar Street to have a cup of coffee or alcohol. At daytime, you may also go to the libraries or the universities to learn about Beijing and China if you are tired of the scenic spots.

Wow! Pictures of My Beijing Trip:

Badaling Great Wall of China
Badaling
Forbidden City of China
Forbidden City in Beijing
Summer Palace, Beijing
summer palace

Wangfujing Street, Beiijng
Wangfujing Dajie

More Beijing Travel Reviews
1. Wonderful Surprise GAIL DUNBAR from USA Jan 22, 2010 12:06
2. My First Trip to Beijing CARMEN_01 from France Jan 13, 2010 01:44
3. Summer Travel in Beijing - the 1st Day SISLEY from China Dec 29, 2009 20:08
Comments (7)

Mar 10, 2011 00:22 Reply

Ms.DOFR said:

Dear Mr Zach, Beside this Beijing Leo Hostel that the heating system is no good, other than that like location goood and easy or not , is the room clean with clean bedsheets?

Mar 10, 2011 19:34
Mr.MARK from China replied:

It is located in the middle of the hutongs, but the room is ok with clean bedsheets.

Mar 8, 2011 02:21 Reply

Ms.DOFR said:

Have anyone stayed in this Beijing Leo Courtyard before and can share your experience at this hostel with me. I want to know more of the hostel which I am going to stay when I arrive in Beijing in April 11. Thank you.

Mar 9, 2011 19:26
Mr.ZACH from China replied:

I have ever stayed in the hostel for two nights. It is in the middle of the hutongs in Qianmen area. The equipment is poor especially the heating system.

Dec 30, 2010 00:44 Reply

Ms.JAY from Phils said:

We have booked our trip for Beijing on April. can you suggest of a good hotel and on how we go about our 3 day vacation tour?

Dec 30, 2010 20:10
Ms.SARA from China replied:

For convenient, I advise you stay at the downtown area near Tiananmen Square(https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/beijing/tianan.htm) and Wangfujing Avenue like Wangfujing Grand Hotel, Beijing(https://www.travelchinaguide.com/hotel/wangfujing-grand-hotel-beijing.htm) or TianRui Hotel, Beijing(https://www.travelchinaguide.com/hotel/tianrui-hotel-beijing.htm). You just fixed your travel time, but have not made your travel schedule, right? Then, you may refer to 3-day Beijing tour(https://www.travelchinaguide.com/package/beijingdaytours.htm). Have a good trip!

Dec 31, 2010 06:57
Ms.JAY from Phils replied:

Thanks Sarah! Do they have English speaking staff at that hotel?

Jan 3, 2011 00:52
Ms.LINDA from China replied:

Yes, the receptionist at the front desk may speak a little bit English.

Oct 22, 2010 09:19 Reply

Mr.ATTA_BUTT said:

I think this a good work and good suggestions specially Accommodation, Food and for Transport. Amazing. Atta.

Jul 27, 2010 23:55 Reply

Mrs.GIGIE from phils said:

hi, we have booked on september 7-15,is the three star hotel is safe?how much that cost of those hotel?What wear is suited to that dates? Thanks

Jul 29, 2010 03:11
Mr.JASON5 replied:

It is still quite warm in September, so, I suggest you waer T-shirt and bring a light jacket. Or wear long-sleeve T-shirt. Safe to stay in a three star hotel. Generally, the hotel rate is 50-100USD. There are some three star hotels but more expensive than that.

Page 1 of 2PreviousNext

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.