My First Trip to Beijing

Written by Jan 13, 2010 01:44
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

It was in the summer of 2009 that I had my first trip in Beijing. I was picked up at the Beijing West Railway Station by my aunt and stayed for about 5 days. Although not a thorough visit to all of its attractions, I got a deeper understanding of the city. Beijing is really a modern metropolis!

It was near supper time so I had supper with my aunt's family. After that, my aunt drove me around the city. We passed ring roads and parked around Tian'anmen Square, which is glamorous with lights at night. Tian'anmen Square is, perhaps, the greatest open-air meeting place in the world. We took lots of pictures against the buildings on its sides. Various shining lights made it hard to see them truly so the next day in the broad day time I went again to see the awesome and vast square and the buildings breaking its flat expanse, such as the 38-foot high Monument to the People's Heroes and the Mausoleum of Mao Zedong (better known in the world) with perhaps the longest queue I had see ever. Soberly-dress adults, and uniformed school children on trip from all parts of China waiting in line to view Chairman Mao's embalmed body. I did not think I had the chance to join the long queue so I went for the Great Hall of the People, the political hub of Beijing and home of the National People's Congress. The central hall of the Great Hall of the People was fan-shaped so that the dais is visible for everyone in any one of the three auditoriums. The ceiling was decorated with a large ruby like star surrounded by a galaxy of lights and looked fancy!

Tiananmen Square at night
Tiananmen Square at night -- by Carmen :-)
Out of the Tian'anmen Square, my big sister, the daughter of my aunt led me to Tian'anmen Tower, through which we reached the Forbidden City. I happened to view a documentary series about the Forbidden City on Discovery Channel and got a huge crash on this greatest palace complex in China or perhaps the world. And then I was there in person and nothing could make me feel better. We rented two audio guides at the service desk outside the Meridian Gate and then started our tour. The Forbidden City has housed 24 emperors. It covers an area of 720,000 sq m and there are 9999 rooms. However the areas that remain closed for the public reaches 400,000 sq m. The Forbidden City is divided into two parts, the Outer Court and the Inner Court. The Outer Court, mainly consisting of the Hall of Supreme Harmony, the Hall of Central Harmony and the Hall of Preserved Harmony, is the place for government affairs. The Inner Court, mainly consisting of the Hall of Celestial Purity, the union Hall and the Hall of Terrestrial Tranquility, is the residence of the emperors and their family members, such as the empresses, concubines and consorts. Emperors in ancient China always got countless wives, residing in different palaces. Eunuchs were a major part of the Inner Court as it was said that men were all forbidden from the Inner Court. The Forbidden City has another name, the Palace Museum for numerous priceless relics. The Clock Gallery was a great one. Various clocks were made with unique design and process materials. Really a great feast to the eye. I would like to say more about the Forbidden City, yet facts speak louder than words. Do make a visit to the Forbidden City one you are in Beijing. When we got out from the Gate of Prowess Gate, it was almost the end of the day but we decided to pay a visit to either Jingshan Park or Beihai Park as both of them were within walking distance. We went to Beihai Park at last. It turned out a relaxing place with picturesque scenery.
Forbidden City seen from the top of Jingshan
Forbidden City seen from the top of Jingshan
I had a half-day rest the next day and then went shopping with my aunt in Xidan. We also walked through Wang Fujing Street, flocks of people and many century-old brands, such as Wuyutai Tea Shop, Rufuxiang Silk, Donglaishun Hotpot, as well as Quanjude Roast Duck.

In the next few days, I went to Tsing University, Peking University, and the Old Summer Palace. But Forbidden City was my favorite so I wrote a lot about it.

Without a thorough visit to all of its great sights, my trip ended for some personal reasons. Great Wall is left for the next, I said to myself. Yes, that's it. I have totally fallen love with Beijing. I would go back, just wait, Beijing!

More Beijing Travel Reviews
1. Summer Travel in Beijing - the 1st Day SISLEY from China Dec 29, 2009 20:08
2. Shoppin in Beijing Watch out don''t trust them! KIANWAVE from SG Nov 25, 2009 02:50
3. beijing sights sounds & smells condensed into a sprocket-popping bike ride AUTUMNSONG from AF Aug 18, 2009 21:49
Comments (2)

Apr 18, 2010 01:27 Reply

Ms.EARLYBIRD said:

Forbidden City and Great Wall are great places, But as a chinese still not been there, because of lots of works. something unpredictable..... Alwas keep thinking doing jobs. If i have chance i also will be there one time, it must. Besides i will take my girlfriend with me. You know quite lot about beijing than me. I are chinese than me in beijng

Feb 24, 2010 18:41 Reply

Ms.SUSAN from China said:

How many days do you think is enough for a thorough visit to Beijing? I am planning to go there. A week or so? You said you would visit Beijing again. Have you got plans in mind?

Mar 30, 2010 22:59
Ms.CARMEN_01 replied:

Ms.Susan I am also a student. You can choose places of interest which you would like to go most, for example, Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, Shichahai, Nanluoguxiang and ect. And then allocate your days to those places accordingly. You would like to have a 2nd visit after your visit in this summer, i bet. LOL. Hope we will meet in Beijing too.

Feb 24, 2010 21:47
Ms.CARMEN_01 replied:

Well, a thorough visit may take at least a week. Beijing can keep the most energetic tourists busy for more than a week. The more i see, the less i want to leave. So i suggest you stay as long as possible to know Beijing in-depth. As for plans, i consider going this summer vacation if possible. Wish you good days in Beijing!

Feb 25, 2010 19:08
Ms.SUSAN from China replied:

Hello, again. Ms.Carmen01 Thanks for your advice. I think i will just have one week time for this travel. So how to make the best use of it? You said you might go to Beijing this summer vacation, are you now a student or school staff? Cause i am also in school as a student. Wish we can meet during our Beijing trips.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.