Yunnan, Kunming, LiJiang, Dali In Year 2001 Winter

Written by Jun 8, 2004 00:06
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Yunnan,Kunming( Day 1 in the morning and afternoon) In Year 2001 Winter

My family joined a travel agency in Singapore for a 7-day tour in Yunnan consisting of Kunming, LiJiang and Dali. The group including my family which consists of 8 people in total there were 15 people.My family consists of both of mine parents,elder sista,me, my aunty(mum's sista),cousin ken,aunt(mum's elder brother wife) and Aunty doris.

Day 1
Left Singapore flying Yunnan Airline on 4 December 2001 to Yunnan Kunming. Had a snack on board the plane. Around 11 plus, they served us lunch. Had a chicken noodle lunch, ate very little of it as it was simply not very nice. Touched down in Yunnan Kunming Airport at 12.15 local time. No Time Difference Between Singapore and China. Kunming was known as the spring or Summer City because of its cool summer and warm winter. Went through Customs and found our Tour guide. Alan was our Tour guide. 20 plus year old guide. Went to get lunch at a hotel in Town, lunch was fabulous. Alan told us some interesting facts about Yunnan like how should we address the local etc and some stories about him. We arrived at this pearl centre but it was not included in our plan at all, it was just a stopover for us to use the bathroom and take a look at the pearls and some shopping. Everyone rushed to look at the pearl except my dad, elder sista, my cousin ken and me. Four of us were looking at the English subtitles about how the pearls were being raised etc. Although I am a Chinese, I do not understand mandarin very well, the same goes for my dad, elder sista and my cousin ken.

Yunnan,Kunming( Day 1 in the afternoon and at night) In Year 2001 Winter

Therefore we continued our journey to our destination called Jiuxiang Scenic Belt. It's a place, which was famous for its magnificent caves, waterfalls and beautiful landscape. Well in order to get to the caves, gotta to take the lift down. So we took the lift down and before going to the caves, we went to take a little cruise on the lake I guesses. The cruise was roughly about 10 to 15 minutes ride. It was just to look at the rock formations and words on the rock. After we finished the cruise, gotta to walk to the cave. While we walked to the cave, as there was a rive down below which is linked to the yellow river all the way, If I remember correctly. Well the cave ess petty dark and the stairs were very steep, do be careful while walking and bring torchlight along with you when visiting Jiuxiang. We entered the 1st cave. The 1st cave was about rock formations. Some of them look like animals; some look like people and lots more. Very interesting. The 2nd cave was about natural resources. Rocks being written with the words Jiuxiang. It was not being craved on, it was the water rushing and clashing with the rocks and the words Jiuxiang simply just appeared on the rock and there were lot of more related thing to Jiuxiang. There was also a waterfall in the 2nd cave. Well, normal camera can't capture the waterfall due to the cave is dark, just pay 10 bucks and you get expert photographer taking photo of the waterfall and you together. My whole family paid 10 bucks to the photographer and took a picture of the waterfall of course with us in it. After that, continued with the climbing of stairs. The 3rd caves was known as the Bat Cave as it used to have lots of bats in it but as tourists came and visit the cave, they started to disappear. The cave had the most stairs of all 3 caves. The total of the stairs are 336. Before entering the caves, you could choose to take the sedan or walk. For old people, I wondered how they do the climbing because the 1st and 2nd cave stairs are steep and had to climb. The 3rd caves had nothing much. By the time we finished climbing all 3 cave I am very sure I had lost lots of weight. Reached the place for dinner. Dinner for the night was what the local ate in their home. It was fabulous. One dish was roasted duck and the duck was simply fablous and the other dish was Eggplant(Brinjal) which I never tasted before in mine entire life till 4 December 2001 and from that moment on I got hooked on Eggplant. The Hotel we were staying in was Stone Forest Hotel, saw 4 Merlions. Alan told us that a Singaporean owns the Hotel, so that's why the 4 symbols of Singapore were there. Got the room keys and took my rest till the very next morning.

Yunnan,Kunming( Day 2 in the morning) In Year 2001 Winter

Check out the Stone Forest Hotel on 5 of December of 2001. Proceed to our 1st destination of the day, which was Caiseshalin famous for its outstanding sand formation including relief (sculptures) etc. This place also feature about this story back in China Years ago. If I'm not wrong, the story should be three kingdoms something like that. Well, when entering the place, in order to get in, have to pass 2 stone doors. According to the guide, she says that if you manage to push the stone door 3 times, your next life will be a general. For me, Of course I can't move it, so just slip through the empty space through the doors. After that, saw this big thing. According to the guide, it was used by one of the three kingdoms character to scare someone by saying about deep-frying the person. Something like that. So we saw a sand sculpture and we being our sand formation tour. Firstly saw this sand formation, which looks like a monkey, followed by this sand formation, which look like a general who look like got a beer-tummy. Saw lots of other sand formation. This place is like a big maze once you take the wrong path and you can't get out. There was a shop for us to take a rest and there was this big seat, which the kings in the three kingdoms sat on long ago and we were allowed to take picture on it. Took our rest and continued with the walk. It was said that there was this water spring which say it was very clear and good for health. According to the guide, she say it was used to heal the soldiers in the three kingdoms because once the soldiers drank some dirty water and they came to the water spring to drink and they were perfectly fine after that. The health part I'm not sure but I strongly agreed that it was indeed very clear. Finally, went to see sand sculptures. Lots of being made into beautiful people things etc. After finishing visiting the sand sculpture, we sat on the sedan back. The sky in Caiseshalin is way blue than other place in China. On our way out, saw an old lady, her foot was so small. Was very shocked although I saw documentary of older times girls have to bind their foot, never thought I would get to see in real life in the 21st Century. Well, went back to the bus. Alan bought some local small food for us to try, was very nice. Went on to have lunch, lunch was not that nice.

Yunnan,Kunming( Day 2 in the afternoon) In Year 2001 Winter

Our next destination was Stone Forest. Located 126km to the southeast of Kunming, Stone Forest was a State-level scenic spot, with a total area of 350 square km and has the highest elevation in the world. Everything before my eyes were simply astonishing; Right in here, I'm amazed and astonished at the unique peaks and strange caves. The ravishing legends of " Ashima ", the " Torchlight Festival " of the Sani people on June 24 each year, and the warm and zestful Yi nationality dance " Axi Dance Under Moonlight " increase my enthusiasm in knowing more about the area. We proceed to this place selling Chinese medicine called Bao Shu Tang.This place got 24 or 28 place in the whole of china. So we went in and listen to the person in charge to explain to us their 2 kinds of medicine. 1st is the bear bladders powder (Yeah, gross and cruel) I would say. 2nd is a cream. Well, the person did demonstrations and he put his hand over the burning hot rod, which has only just been taken off the fireplace. After that, he quickly applied the cream on his hand. The explanation finished. So, the doctors was checking out the group illness and gave them some advice about it. For me, I got nothing to ask about and the person who just did the demonstration walked over to my family and me. I was sort of looking around and I took a look at his hand. Indeed it was ok not sore at all kinda of amazing. So I walked around looking at different types of Chinese medicine. I even saw ants in a sealed bag. Yuck! But I would say I learnt more or less about Chinese medicine well, walked around for a while and board the coach

Yunnan,Kunming( Day 2 at night) In Year 2001 Winter

Went back to Town, Kunming. The journey back was about 2 to 3 hours. Alan had told us yesterday that there were 2 trains which was in Yunnan itself but 1 was the old kind slow and small it goes to Myanmar the other 1 only runs in China itself but it was big and fast. My sista and my cousin Ken saw a train, both of them woke my mum and me to take a look but it was not the old kind of train. What a pity because we were hoping to see the old train. But the old train if we want to see all depends on our luck, Alan told us the old train will only move Myanmar that side the train is being filled up, likewise the same goes for Yunnan. Alan told us about 3 kinds of people in China. 1 group was the age of his parents, this group was hardworking etc, but they were kind of stubborn, thank to this group, China made its mark. The 2nd group was from the age 21-30 if I am not wrong, Alan was in this group, this group they don't even dare to talk about marriage and stuff because marriage costs a lot of money and even if they see a gals they like, they will ask themselves, do they have the money to support a wife, family and maybe kids? Even they like someone, they will ask themselves think about what are you doing, falling in love with someone. I think this group are the one who will be the unhappiest with life because of money; no money can't talk about love etc. The 3 groups were my age group 12-20. This group they don't like to study, they like to go dance in pubs and try all those drugs that's the town kids, for the countryside, they got to help their parents selling things, they got no chance to go to school, I saw a little boy about 3 or 4 year old helping his parents carrying vegetable to the market and a gal about my age helping with her parents selling sounviers. Finally reached Town. The Hotel we were staying in for the night is Green Lake Hotel. Well, my aunty (ken's mum), my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife), aunty Doris and my parents went to shop with the rest of the group. For the three of us, we decided to crash on our own. Actually due to my sista got a stomach, my cousin ken is tried and for me got a terrible headache. We decided to stay in the hotel. So I channel-surf the TV for English MTV. Managed to catch some but my eyes were not obeying, I went to dreamland.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang(Day 3 in the morning) In Year 2001 Winter

Woke up at 6.00 am this morning in order to catch our 8.05 flight to LiJiang. Had a quick breakfast at the Coffeehouse at the Hotel. Went to the airport to check in. Got our tickets. Due to something, I was mad at Miss Wee. Well I got a so-called lecture from my mum and aunty (Ken's mum). Well, but was so angry at Miss Wee one of the group members, my aunty talked to me about it, but I don't know why tears washed my face. Well, but I feel better crying it out and talking to my cousin ken about it. The plane is about 40 minutes. Well 8.05 reached but I thought it's funny the plane was not taking off. After the aircrew explain someone had not board the plane, that why they are not taking off. We waited for an hour and half. Finally settled down but another thing happened some passenger don't want to fly because they waited too long but in the end everything is settled. Well, plane touched down in LiJiang Airport around 9 plus. Found the Tour guide. The Tour guide was a male too, his name was very unique. My mandarin was not good, so I ain't got any idea on how to prounce it. Our 1st destination was to Baisha Murals, which was over 600 years. The Lijiang Murals were very interesting. Each Mural was telling a different story. It was simply very interesting. Well, on the way saw some Tribe people. China itself over has a total of 56 tribe. Well, we had already seen one Tribe, which were the Yi Tribe people in Stone Forest yesterday. The one we saw today was the Naxi Tribe people in LiJiang Baisha Mural. My mum donated some money to them and they asked my mum to join them in their dance for a while. Actually, I was also asked to join them but I did not want to as I feel rather awakard. The Restaurant where we were having our lunch was a great place as it allowed us to see the beautiful Jade Dragon Snow Mountain while having our lunch.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang(Day 3 in the afternoon) In Year 2001 Winter

Went to the beautiful Jade Dragon Snow Mountain after our lunch. As the Sea Level was high on the Mountain, our group rented a few oxygen tanks. As I got a great rest yesterday, I found that walking up to the Spruce Plateau did not use up a lot of my energy and I simply did not use the oxygen tank at all. In order to get to the top, got on to the Gondola. Still, we got to exercise our legs. Finally, we reached the Spruce Plateau (Yunshan Plateau). Our guide told us that Naxi people regard the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain as the Ideal Kingdom, an extremely saintly place. Some lovers who wanted to get rid of the shackle of arranged marriage and seek their true love came here to sacrifice themselves for love. So Touching. We couldn't go on the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain because the only way to get to it was by gondola (cable car) but it was too dangerous, they closed it down. There had been 17 Mountain Climbing experts from all over the world who came to the place itself but none had made it up the Mountain because it was simply too dangerous. Even a helicopter can't land on the peak of the Mountain. Next destination was to Yufeng Temple. On our way to the Camellia tree, we managed to look at Naxi Ancient Music. Pretty nice. We went to look at big camellia tree which is known as the First Tree Under Heaven' and the King of Camellia. This tree was also known as the Couple tree. If you and your spouse take a photo together, do remember to hug tightly to each other. We thought Yufeng Temple was a Buddhism Temple at 1st. Went in and the guide explained to us that many monks visited the temple from other countries and also ask to make some prayers since we were already there. As the tour was over, I went out of the temple as my eyes were hurting me due to the josstick. Everyone came out and some of us met with problems. I knew about it. I found it funny since Buddhism temple do not have jossstick at all and Buddhism culture will not ask people to donate a huge amount of money. I found out that the temple was a lamasery temple. Yufeng Temple cheats tourist money. An advice to all, if you are going to Yufeng Temple, do only visit the Camellia Tree and the temple if you want to but do not even give a single cent to the temple.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang(Day 3 at night ) In Year 2001 Winter

Dinner was at a Hotel. After Dinner, we went to the hotel, which was LiJiang Garden Jade Dragon Hotel. Check in and settle down. Went to LiJiang old town and old market square to walk around and to see what Lijiang old town was like at night. Alan told us that Lijiang at night was very beautiful. Indeed it was. Lijang old town and old market square was criss-crossed by canals and a maze of Narrow Street. Well it was a good place to shop for Sounvier and things. Treat both,my cousin and sista to supper at a fast food restauran since it was my sista birthday. Everyone of my family was standing on the lijang old town street holding a hot cup of corn chowder. The feeling was so great and I know everyone would not ever froget about that feeling and moment. Back to the hotel. Had our rest for the day.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 4 in the morning) In Year 2001 Winter

7.00 were the wake up time for us. Did our stuff. Had our breakfast at the coffeehouse. 1st destination of today, which was LiJiang old town to see what the old town look like during the morning. Very breathtaking scenery in the morning in Lijiang old town. As we finished walking in the old town, it was time for us to do some shopping in the old town. I do not know what to shop for so together with my dad, cousin ken, sista and me went around taking pictures with the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain behind. Back to the hotel to make sure our luggage were ok and loaded them on to the coach. Some problems with the luggage waited on the coach for the problem to be solved between the hotel and the guide. While waiting, my aunty (ken's mum) bought a few cups of corn chowder for us to drink. Next destination was the Jade Spring Park. Nice scenery. We got to have a chance to look at the Naxi people language Dongba language. Well, my mum bought a stack of postcards about interesting place in LiJiang. Went to this interesting pond, which once you shout or stomp, there will be bubble coming out of the water. Actucally there's a logic behind it but I couldn't exactly remember the details.After visiting the whole place, went to this Jade shop to look around for a while and went to have our lunch at a hotel.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 4 in the afternoon and at night) In Year 2001 Winter

After lunch, proceed to Dali by bus. The journey was about 3 and half hours. On our way to Dali, the bus wheel went flat. We were like so called stucked for an hour or more. Around 3, we got the bus going. Went to this shop selling Tibet meat to use their bathroom. No offence I think the shop smells more over than the bathroom. We reached Dali probably around 4 plus. Met up with our Tour Guide in Dali. The guide name was very unique. My mandarin was not good, so I ain't know how to prounce it. Dali had preserved some cobbled streets and traditional stone architectural within its old walls. Proceed to our destination, which are the three pagodas in Chongsheng Temple. Went to see the three pagodas. We were the last batch of tourist to visit the place. Went in to see a big statute of Chinese god. After we stepped out, the caretaker immediately closed it. Went to have our dinner. After Dinner, went to the hotel we were staying for two nights. The Hotel we were staying was known as Asia Star Hotel. Well, we went to check in. Got our keys, went to the room to wash up and quickly went down. Miss Wee and the 8 of us, which was my parents, my aunty (ken's mum). My cousin ken, aunty Doris, my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife), my sista and me went to the old Ancient City of Dali. Took the bus, which the hotel provided. So reached the place. My sista and I went to check out some CD. Cousin Ken bugged my aunt into buying pizza for supper. Back to Hotel and ate the pizza. Washed up and had our rest for the day.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 5 in the morning) In Year 2001 Winter

The morning call for us was 7.30, so woke up at 7.30. Did our wash-up. Went to have breakfast at the coffeehouse. This morning, we were taking a cruise on Erhai Lake. On the way to the jetty, saw 2 dogs being locked in a cage waiting for people to eat them. I saw it and my hearts hurts a lot. Can't believe there were people eating dog's meat. Reach the jetty. The boat we were taking was the biggest and best boat by the China Travel Agency. Well, We booked a singing room and everyone was singing and my cousin Ken and sista was playing cheese. I was reading a book while enjoying the beautiful lake view. Reached the 1st island. Stopped only for 15 minutes. As the water was very clear, my aunty (ken's mum) bought some fried small prawns to treat us. The boat left the island and it was our turn to watch the Bai Tribe performances. The dancing and singing indeed was very nice, but I ain't got any idea what the host is talking about, her Chinese was very good that is what I think. We got to taste the 3 cups of famous tea of Dali. Got a small packet of preserved fruits. 1st cup of the tea was bitter. 2nd cup of the tea was sweet. 3rd cup of the tea was both a mixture of the 1st and 2nd cup. The last performance was about how the Dali people marriage. The Bride needs to get pinch from relativities, which was a blessing in their way.Some idoit tawinese tourist pinched the performer till blue back.Freaking idoit. Reached the 2nd island. Went to see this big statute of Chinese gods. Took some picture. Went back down to see this 10 statute about a mother eating some pill and gave birth to ten sons something like that. Took some picture. Walk around for a while and quickly went back to the boat since it only stop for 45 minutes. Went back on the boat, sat outside on the deck to enjoy the sea breeze. The feeling was just so great. Sat on the deck for about 15 minutes and went back into the singing room because the sunlight in China was very strong. Watched people sing song. After 15 minutes, we reached the jetty. Went to locate the coach. We reached the place looking for the coach. A lot of people came rushing to us selling things. Didn't want it, they kept making us buy. Well, was so scared that my sista, my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife), aunty Doris and me hid under an umbrella. Finally, the bus came, and rushed on to the coach. Went for lunch.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 5 in the afternoon) In Year 2001 Winter

After lunch, we walked to our next destination for the day, which was butterfly spring. The butterfly spring Park of Dali was located on the Yunnong Hill of Diancang Mountain. The original name was known as the Bottomless Poll. When it was between late spring and early summer, (the exact date was 15th according to the lunar calendar) the traditional Butterfly Gathering will be open. At that time, lots of people meet there, singing their love songs here and there. According to the tour guide, the water spring which we washed our hands in . 1st time means your studies would be good. 2nd time means a good fortune in the future. 3rd means lady luck with future husband or wife. Well, I only just want to wash for fun but the local idoit china tourist keeps pushing us and we nearly fell down. Proceed to the next place, which was Zhou City to see how the Dali people did the dying of the cloth. Saw how they did and went back to the bus to continue with our next destination is Xizhou town. On the bus, the tour guide told us that our destination have lots of people selling things like what we encountered like just now, so he told us to act blur, don't reply or say anything to them so they will just go away. Xizhou town was just about having a look at the bai people house. Very nice. Next destination was the old Ancient City of Dali. Well, Shopping time. My mum, my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife), my aunty (ken's mum), my cousin ken, aunty Doris and my sista were walking so slowly. My dad and me decided that we met them at where the tour guide tell us to meet, so my dad and me were walking around and checking out things. We waited for the tour guide to bring us to dinner.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 5 at night)In Year 2001 Winter

Well, the restaurant and a crystal shop was linked together, so the person was showing and telling us about different kind of crystal, So everyone was shopping for purple crystal necklace. My dad, my sista, my cousin ken and me were so bored. We walked around. Aunty Doris was buying cell phone accessories, so she told my sista and me to choose one each as she say it was a gift for us. We told her thanks and started selecting and in the end.. I got a glass blue rat which also happen to be my zodaic and my favorite colour accessories, my sista got a glass dog accessories. But my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife) want a glass dog accessories, so aunty Doris, my sista and me helped to search for her, but the one we had seen were not nice, thus my sista gave my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife) hers, aunty Doris ask my sista to choose another one. We three helped her to search for a glass monkey since her Chinese zodaic is monkey.Showed my sista and mine cell phone accessories to my cousin ken. Then ken suddenly told us that my sista cell phone accessories a part of it was broken. So aunty Doris immediately drag my sista, my cousin ken to change for another one. After a while, went over to see whether they (aunty Doris, my cousin ken and my sista) finished choosing the thing and I went around checking out things. After a while, my sista told me that my cousin ken rejected three of the accessories, so I joined in to help them. Finally, found one. I really pity the salesgirl because my cousin ken rejected so many of the accessories which she had took out. Got one and went to find my mum, my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife), my aunty (ken's mum), my dad and my cousin ken. My mum, my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife), my aunty (ken's mum) had not finished choosing the purple crystal necklace. So my dad asked me to go upstairs to have our dinner 1st together with aunty Doris, my cousin ken and my sista. When we were about to head upstairs, finally my mum, my two aunts (Ken's mum and mine mum's elder brother wife) finished buying their stuff. Had our dinner. Went back on the bus. But I find it rather funny because my parents and relatives were not on the bus. Miss Wee and me went back to the shop to find them; indeed they were shopping for local products. Finally, they finished buying. Luckily, the shop was very near to the hotel. Went back to the hotel. My cousin ken wanted to play pool, so went to the reception to know more about it. But we decide not to play. So went back to our room. Bath, watch TV for a while and went to bed. Lucky day for me got a free cell phone accessories and a purple crystal necklace.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 6 in the morning)In Year 2001 Winter

Woke up at 5.00 am today. Washed up and went for breakfast at the coffeehouse. After breakfast, went down to the lobby. Was a cold morning. Stood in front of the hot pit to get myself warm. We were leaving Dali. Went on board the coach, as it was an hour trip to get to the airport. Everyone was sleeping except me. Well, my mind was somewhere else. Reach the airport really early probably 7.05 in the morning. We were the only one in the airport. Check in our luggage and went through the customs. Bid goodbye to the Tour Guide and Bus Driver The Bus Driver look alike the Chinese Communist Mao ZhengDong, So we call him Uncle Mao. He's a pretty nice guy. Well, waited for the plane, so was walking around. Well, plane reached. Plane took off at 8.15. Reached Kunming at 9.00. Went to get our luggage. Saw Alan. After What happened in LiJiang was very relived to see him. Got our luggage and went on board the coach. Alan told us what he did scold the people in LiJiang for over half hour. He apologized on behalf of his company to us..

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 6 in the morning)In Year 2001 Winter

Proceed to our 1st destination, which is Yunnan Minority Cultural Village. Yunnan Nationalities Village, a local well-known tourist scenic spot in Yunnan, was located near Dianchi Lake, the suburb of Kunming. Currently, 12 villages had been constructed, including Dai village, Bai village, Yi village, Naxi Village, Wa Village, Bulang Village, Jino village, Lahu village, Tibetan village, Hani village, Jingpo village, De'ang village and the Mosuo Family. With the completion of certain synthesizes facilities as Nationalities United Square, Singing and Dancing hall, Multi-colour Music Fountain, Water Curtain Film and Flavour City etc. The village were found 25 minority groupings and their cultural exhibits. Well, on the bus, Alan gave us try some local cake or bread of theirs. It was made with flour and there was walnuts in it. Went to the Cultural Village. Firstly, went to sit this kind of small car in order to get to the village. Went to visit the Dai Village. Alan treated all of us to feed the seagulls except me. I was looking at a dance performance by the Dai Tribe people. Took some pictures. Finished visiting the village. Went back to the car, proceed to the next village, which was Naxi Tribe. While visiting the Naxi Tribe people house, Alan bought from the Dai Tribe village fruits to treat us but I'm simply too lazy to eat as i don't wanna dirty my hands. Went to see their house and their own language. Took some pictures. Went to see the Mosuo people. These people don't get married. They treat women same rank as the men in the house. The guys find gal just by putting his finger and if any gal put her finger into his finger. So the guy goes to the gal's house to spend the night and the next morning the guy goes back to his own house and the whole thing repeats again. It is kind of like a one nightstand. Well, if the gal gets pregnant, she takes care of the kid. So if they two are in love, they get married and they carry their kid and date. They are call the Mosuo people because at night, they go to the gal's house before the day breaks, the guy leaves the house. Well, Interesting traditional I would say. Well, the lady guide was explaining things to us and there were two idoit Chinese guy locals saying that Mosuo people traditional were very good and the lady guide said: not really. That two idiots were so dirty minded. I was enjoying the seagulls flying in the blue sky. Well, continued with our last village, which was Yi Tribe Village. The Yi Tribe people look up to the Tiger as a god or something. Well, finished visiting the Cultural Village. Went for lunch.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 6 in the afternoon)In Year 2001 Winter

Alan bought some Dai Tribe people food what they eat to treat us. Alan himself was half of Dai Tribe. After lunch, went to Daguan Park (Grand View Pavilion). Well, lots of sea gulls in the park. Alan treated us to feed the sea gulls we told him not to because this morning, since he already did. He insisted that we should allow him to do so, thus left with no choice, we accepted his offer. This time, I did feed the seagulls. Well finished feeding the seagulls. Went to this place Daguanlou. Everyone finished feeding the seagulls. Went to Daguanlou as Alan explained to us what was outside the Daguanlou the two freaking long pillars with words which made me feel amazing, he was able to remember such a freaking long poem. Went in to visit and came out. Miss Wee and me were walking and we two were looking around at the shops. Saw this guy drawing people's name, Miss Wee decided to ask the guy to draw since the bus had not arrived yet, I was only accompanying her and checking out what the guy was doing since it's interesting and I never saw it before. Well, there were also tourists from Taiwan I think she was also asking the guy to draw and she got 5 names asking the guy to draw. Well, luckily the guy who was drawing was pretty fast, well the bus came. Miss Wee was like so anxious .She kept on saying :The whole coach people were waiting for her. I told her to calm down because they (the group) don't mind waiting for her. The guy finished drawing and he was asking whether were we from Singapore? Miss Wee reaction was how do you know? The guy said that the (Miss Wee and me) way of speaking was very different. Miss Wee said that She don't quite like people knowing that she is from Singapore and she asked the guy why can't We (Miss Wee and me) be from Malaysia or Taiwan. The guy said Malaysian were totally way different from Singaporeans, Taiwanese were Fat people and they are very rude. Got her name thing. Quickly went back to the coach

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 6 in the evening)In Year 2001 Winter

Proceed on to our next and last destination for the day, which was Western Hill and Dragon hill. The Western hills were noted for a series of temples situated along a path leading to the summit. Alan told us about the temples and the gods on the Western hill. Most of them were napping, except Miss Wee, Alan and me. Miss Wee was asking Alan something, I was just looking out the window and my mind was somewhere else thinking but managed to hear what Alan is telling her about, I'm not eavesdropping they were just talking about Western hill. Reached Western hill. In order to get on top of Western Hill and Dragon Hill,we need to get up by gondola (cable car) or walking and car. Well, we choosed to take the gondola (cable car) and come down by sitting the car. Well, the scenery was amazing while sitting on the gondola (cable car). Reached the top, walked down. My cousin Ken and me were talking along the way. Took pictures along the way. We gotta a chance to look at the Dianchi Lake. Reached the 1st temple, Alan explained to us and some of them did a little praying and continued with the walking. Reached the 2nd temple Alan explained to us and some of them did a little praying, took a look and continued with the last temple. Reached the last temple, likewise Alan explained to us, took a look around. They were buying sounviers at a shop, I was checking out the scenery using a telescope. My dad was talking to one of the uncles in the group. Sat down to take a rest. My mum, aunt (my mum's elder brother wife), aunty (ken's mum), aunty Doris and my sista were checking out the things at the shop. I saw a book on the tribe in whole China, thought of buying it but in the end decided not to. Went down. At the bottom of the hill, Alan told us: Hey! I got a great news which is the car shuttle service is closed, so we got to walk down. The night was falling in, when we reached the car park, got on to the coach. Was simply too tried from the walking, everyone dozed off. Reached the restaurant for dinner.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 6 at night)In Year 2001 Winter

Ate our dinner, Alan changed some of the dishes because he know we were sick of seeing the same food everyday. Halfway through the dinner, my sista saw a bug in one of the dishes. Sista and me were like :Oh My God! Aunty doris got the waitress and changed it.And everything was back to normal After that, continued eating our dinner. Finished our dinner and ate the nuts aunty Doris bought, I also ate some. Didn't need to peel them because my cousin ken peels them for me! *Grin*. After dinner, went back to check in the hotel which is Green Lake Hotel. Got our rooms key and went up. We got two rooms but the hotel didn't gave us next to each other because it was a adjoining room. Took some time to settle down, Alan came up, Miss Wee told us that she live in one of the room, the door is locked. So we swapped with Aunty Doris and my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife). Got a bathroom break and went down to the lobby. Got on the coach, went for a walk and did some shopping. They saw a bakery shop, bought some stuff, Miss Wee and me were just hanging out, she told me that two of us are so pityful every time, there is shopping involved, we two got to wait for them since we got nothing to buy. Took some pictures. Some of them took a break. Went back to the hotel by walking back. Saw Ekin Chen (Hong Kong singer cum star) on a notice board, Miss Wee and me were joking with Alan, Hey Alan! How come you are on the notice board. Well, we told Alan to go back home since we were about to reach the hotel and we knew our way back, moreover he will reach home late if he walk home or take the local transport. He told us that it was his responsibilities to make sure we were safe and sound; if not he wouldl get worried and couldn't sleep if we went back on our own to the hotel. Reached the hotel, took a bath and went to bed.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 7 in the morning)In Year 2001 Winter

8.30 was the wake up time for us. Washed up, pack up the luggage and waited for my sista to get her stuff packed. Went down to the coffeehouse to have our breakfast. Finished our breakfast. Was at the lobby, exchanged contact number with Miss Wee and Mr. Goh. Alan came and gave us his name card. After that, everyone was done, got on the coach, my aunty (ken's mum) realized that her coat was left behind, Alan offered to help her get it, but we found the coat in the end. Proceed to our 1st destination of the day which was a tea place, I think. Reached the place. The person told us about different type of tea. Went into a room and explained more to us and let us drink tea. Drank a lot of tea, finally finished drinking. I immediately ran out to the room to the bathroomand went to take a walk around since the rest of them were asking the person in charge what type of tea was good? Went out to the car park Went to have our lunch.

Yunnan,Kunming,Lijiang,Dali(Day 7 in the afternoon and at night)In Year 2001 Winter

Todayz, we got to sample 2 famous dishes of Yunnan which was Across the Bridge Noodle and Steam pot Chicken. Having our lunch, we also get to see some performance. It was Alan's turn to sing, his singing was simply fantastic, someone offered him flower, I decided to offer him 3 stalks of flower. His expression was shocked as he received the flower. Finished our lunch. Got a bathroom break. Was talking to the group since Alan went to get something. Well, Alan came and got on the coach for our next destination which was to a shop selling medicine called Fu Shun Tang as usual, I got nothing to buy, so just sat down on the chair. Well, only my mum, aunty( ken's mum) and Mrs. Goh bought something, we got on the coach .Proceed on to the next destination since some of them wanted to buy CD, but couldn't find a place to park the coach, so went to a place to buy local products. The shop allow free samples of the products before buying. Well, I was not buying, so didn't went to try. Miss Wee was talking to another tour guide who was in charge of another group from Singapore. Wanted to get on the coach, but there were so many beggars and they kept demanding for money. Miss Wee got me on the coach. Others wanted to get on the coach but the beggars kept pestering them for money. Miss Wee confronted them saying These are my friends, please don't pester them as I just now gave you all some nuts to eat and you guys are very demanding, so give me a face let them off. Got on the coach to the airport. Reach the airport. Check in. While Checking in, I saw my secondary 2 science teacher but I forget what's her name , so I don't dare to talk to her. My cousin ken kept asking me to talk to her. The check in stuff was done. While waiting for boarding, my aunt (my mum's elder brother wife) talked to my science teacher and I was like :Oh my god! And My science teacher actucally recongized and remembered me and we had some small chats. Went through the custom, bid Farwell to Alan. I truly had enjoyed myself during this 1 week in China. Would love to go back again to China, Yunnan.

More Yunnan Travel Reviews
1. Travel in Yunnan, Kunming, Lijiang, Dali in Year 2001 JENNIE02 Apr 13, 2004 16:04
Comments (1)

Jul 19, 2008 20:46 Reply

PHILWILLIAMS said:

Sounds like a great trip... I now live in Baisha... Do you have any photos? If so, could you send the to me? Thanks

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.