Crossing the Nujiang

Written by Sep 28, 2005 01:09
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

This is the way we cross the river

In Nujiang, which is the western part of Yunnan sheng, there is river call Nu Jiang. The folks on the other side of the river crosses the river daily for errands and goes to work and even to buy stuff. Though at some point of the river there are high suspension bridges, in some area, the local folks have their own system of crossing the river. they stringed two strong cable across the river. The originating end is always higher than the destination, in this way the pulleys which works the transportation will slide the people across. everyone has a personal pulley which has a big rope looped under it where the person crossing will seat on. by hooking the pulley onto the cable, the person just let his/her weight slide it over. It is pretty exciting, especially in October when the water level of the river is real high. You can hear the rushing of the currents and you need to have a tough mind and strong heart to over the fear of the strong currents below. Pretty exciting. You folks should try.

More Yunnan Travel Reviews
1. A Package Tour - The Hidden Extras JABAROOTOO from CN Sep 23, 2005 04:09
2. An Emotional Return - Overland Into Yunnan MISHEN from NZ Jul 24, 2005 01:07
3. Bangkok - China KYLE from CA Jul 22, 2005 14:07
Comments (5)

Oct 10, 2005 21:47 Reply

ETHNICEAST said:

more pics just posted up at the photo album. hope you will enjoy them.

Oct 10, 2005 21:01 Reply

ETHNICEAST said:

go ahead, have fun. i see if i can find the bigger picture. you dont have to bring your own, just ask the locals to lend you theirs.

Oct 10, 2005 07:47 Reply

GOT2GO said:

As always, right there with you Jabarootoo. I love the flying fox and that photo is excellent. I would love to do that. Do you need your own hook? Would like to see more photos like that panned out a bit to see the area. Wow!

Sep 29, 2005 20:31 Reply

ETHNICEAST said:

let me know when you are about to go, then we can update. But really there is no group tours there. You might have to do it by yourself. From dali, you go to Liuku, from here is where the river starts, you travel to next town Fugong and than to the end of this road at Gongshan. Public transport.

Sep 29, 2005 10:43 Reply

JABAROOTOO said:

Great shot, great experience.
In English we call this a 'flying fox'.

Can you end in some more review of this area. May visit next summer.
Thanks

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.