The Yellow River

Written by Ms. SCARLLET May 25, 2013 08:30
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

The cradle of Chinese civilization and the Chinese race, the Yellow River is called the Mother River, providing fertility to the land. Legend says a dragon from the river brought to the Chinese the strokes from which the Chinese characters developed, according to Clapp. There is another side to the picture: The Yellow River is known as China's Sorrow (also "The Ungovernable" and "Scourge of the Sons of Han") because it has caused countless deaths through its devastating floods. The powerful floods have often changed the course of the river.

Mountains to the west feed into both the major rivers of China, the Yellow River and the Yangtze [Changjiang/Ch'ang Chiang]. The Yellow River is named for the color of a clay dust, loess, that blows into northern China from the Central Asian Steppe.

The Yellow River is the second largest Chinese River, at 5,464 km (3,398 mi.). The average volume of the flow of the Yellow River, 48 billion cubic meters each year, is "not more than one-twentieth" of the Yangtze's, according to Smil. The Yellow River flows from the Bayankala Mountains, in the Plateau of Tibet to the Bo Hai sea. It drains the central plain into the Yellow Sea, which gets its color from the same source as the river. In its course, it gathers waters from many sources: 35 main tributaries and more than a thousand streams.mail

More Yangtze River Travel Reviews
1. Gorgeous gorges and a damn dam? DANNYN from CN Sep 30, 2007 07:22
2. <A> My Yantse River Cruise 2002 DONHFRASER from UK Apr 29, 2007 16:04
3. <A>Travelling the Yangtze SMITHJEN Apr 23, 2007 18:04
Comments (1)

May 25, 2013 08:32 Reply

Mr.JOHN from America said:

This is very Useful thank you very much, as a teacher a my students need that kind of information.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.