Over 2 million, and still that small-town feel!

Written by Jan 9, 2006 09:01
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

I live in Baotou, Inner Mongolia, a city with over 2.5 million people, yet I feel like I inhabit a small town! Sounds odd, but thats the feeling I get here. For one, it's built on the far-reaches of a desert, so few buildings are over 7 stories high. With no high-rises like other Chinese cities, you just feel like you're in a suburb. The people are extremely friendly as well. I work as an English teacher at a senior middle school, and the staff are supportive, and the students are wonderful! The people of the town are also quite friendly. There's usually always a smiling face whenever I go to one of the many markets, or to the shops. People are always willing to lend a hand to help out the foreigner in their midst. Many people stare at me, though, because there are not many foreigners in town. (maybe 20, or so I've heard) So, I am both an attraction to be gawked at, and entertainment to some. (especially that time I fell off my bike...) I really don't mind the stares anymore, though. One really does get used to them after a bit.
Feel free to travel to Baotou. People here are very welcoming!

More Baotou Travel Reviews
1. Baotou BRIDGET from CN Oct 9, 2005 00:10
Comments (1)

Apr 8, 2007 04:15 Reply

LILGOODEY said:

Hi, my name's Claire, I teach English at a senior high in Tianjin. I want to visit Inner Mongolia in the last week of April but I'm having problems finding a place to stay. The hotels are too expensive for me, do you know of any hostels in either Baotou or Hohhot? Also I'd love to go horseriding on the grassplanes, do you know how I can organise this? Also what would you recomend to see in Baotou? Have you visited Hohhot? If so, what did you think of it? Please write back soon. Thanks.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.