Savouring the Capital

Written by Jun 21, 2006 10:06
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Friends, not buildings, make the city

Beijing is like most other capitals in the world - big, showy, crowded, official. Like others, she has lovely buildings, wide streets, centres of culture, shopping malls, eating places. And on my first visit, in 2005, that is pretty much all I saw. But when I returned there in 2006, it was very different. The friends I had made on the firts visit, were there in all their strength to welcome me. From the moment I arrived till i left some days later, these fine friends shepherded me around. I saw the same things as before, but through their eyes. I was more relaxed in their company and was able to savour the changing moments. An ice-cream here, a soft drink there, a relaxed hour somewhere else - all were special moments ot be captures in photo and taken away for future reference.

I suggest that those who plan to visit Beijing, or indeed any city in China, first arrange to be met by a friend. Of course, this may not be possible every time and one may have to wait as I did to enjoy a city more on the second visit than on the first.

Now that I think of it, I did not do any of the touristy things in Beijing. Rather, i relaxed with my friends and simply enjoyed their company, giggling my way through broken Mandarin.

It is not correct to say I did nothing touristy - I did actually visit the Great Wall. And the Great Wall at MuTianYu is very touristy indeed. It is not even the Great Wall from the past, having been totally renovated with German help and rendered safe. But there is the spirit of the past there and at least one can begin to imagine the logistics involved when the Wall was first made all those centuries ago.

I loved Tianenmen Square - so grand in its proportions, so full is it with history.

In my herat I know I will go back again and again and I sense that on each occasion i shall love Beijing more and more - simply because there will be more and more friends to make it loveable.

And let me tell you, it is easy to make friends in China. The Great Wall is now referred to as the Friendship Wall. And it is true. One can meet strangers there from all over the world, and be chatting with them as friends in a matter of minutes.

So I say: make friends and see new cities through their eyes.

More Beijing Travel Reviews
1. The Great Wall KEVINWARDCFC from IE Jun 18, 2006 11:06
2. The Great Wall at Simitai GERALDINE from NZ Jun 9, 2006 21:06
3. <A>Being in Beijing VINNIE77 from US May 21, 2006 20:05
Comments (1)

Jun 24, 2006 22:54 Reply

LEMONCACTUS said:

I like the spirit in which you travel :)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.