4 hours trekking from Jinshanling to Simatai

Written by Ms. KIMMIE Oct 19, 2009 05:06
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

I just returned from Beijing a few days ago. One Saturday, I wandered into a travel agency in Tiananmen Square by the Qiamen subway stop. I asked for a tour to Simatai and the agent booked me one for the next day for 200 RMB. The receipt was written in Chinese on a piece of scratch paper and I had no idea about the itinerary. The travel agent just told me to be in my hotel by 8pm and someone would call for pick up time in the morning. I waited and waited, no call. I thought they ripped me off of the 200 RMB. At 1130pm, someone finally called and said they will be by at 630am to pick me up at the hotel. A pick up van came by and picked me up and to my surprise, I found out that we would be trekking about 4 hours from Jinshanling to Simatai. I took the cable car up from Jinshanling and was very lucky to have had a local farmer woman help me along the way to Simatai. I am a 50 year old, 5 foot tall woman and not in the best of shape. She was of great help...as the Jinshanling to Simatai Great Wall can be very challenging at times. Some of the steps are quite steep and can be dangerous if not careful...so be prepared. Wear comfortable hiking boots or sneakers with good traction. Bring water or you can purchase bottles along the way and help the local people. It took me about 4 hours to get from Jinshanling entrance to the zip line taking you to the boat that takes you to the Great Wall restaurant in Simatai. It was a totally breathtaking and exhilating experience. I took lots of pictures and had the time of my life. I highly recommend the Jinshanling to Simatai trek for those that are looking for a true Great Wall experience. I did give the local woman a very nice tip for helping me accomplish the greatest trek of my life.

More Great Wall Travel Reviews
1. Rent a Van to Badaling Great Wall EVA H, from Philippines Sep 20, 2009 12:27
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.