Travel Tips of Badaling Great Wall

Written by Ms. ZOEY Jun 26, 2010 01:07
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Speaking of China, people remember the Great Wall; speaking of the Great Wall, people jump to Badaling. I came to Beijing early this year as an international student and went to Badaling Great Wall.

I have learned a lot about China before coming to China and studied more about the Great Wall, especially Badaling, before my visit. The Great Wall is unlike anything else in the world. Its vastness is breathtaking, yet hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives building this great fortress. I salute them as well as the great artwork they left to the human being.

It was a fine day of the May Day Holiday, sunny yet cool. The roiling dragon stretches along the luxuriant mountain, extending as far as one can see. On the one hand, I felt pleased as I was walking along the same pathways presidents and rulers from all over the world throughout the ages have walked. On the other hand, I felt excited since I felt myself as one of the garrison soldiers. Badaling Great Wall is very well-preserved with broad and smooth walkway, but there were throngs of visitors on that way and it was definitely a work out. Be prepared for the physical exertion and also the crowds.

Travel Tips for Badaling Great Wall:
1. Getting There: It is highly recommended to take bus no. 919 at Deshengmen. The bus station is right under Deshengmen. It runs from 06:30 to 17:00 at a cost of CNY12. Note that the bus you should take to Badaling Great Wall is air-conditioned and heads to Badaling Great Wall directly in 40mins via Highway. Don't take any of the Tour Bus No. 1 to No. 5, as it sells round tickets and takes you to other attractions like the Ming Tombs. I departed at 07:30 and went back at 16:00, right good for the Badaling Great Wall travel. You will not have enough time if you take any of the Tour Buses. One thing you should also pay attention to is that there are many different kinds of 919 buses near Deshengmen running to Badaling. The bus fare is only CNY5, but the buses are not air-conditioned and run for 2 hours to Badaling via slow way. Do take the right bus!
2. Getting Back: Some people suggested to take any of the Tour Bus No. 1 to No. 5 because the 919 bus often has no seat left. But now 919 buses have their first stop at Badaling. Just take 919 at the place you alight. You might see 919 bus filled with people coming out from the parking lot while you are waiting, don't get on. It is the free bus running to Badaling Wild Animal Park. I did that once and had to take the same bus back to Badaling.
3. Those starting from Wudaokou can opt for train to Badaling. Trains ply between Badling and Wudaokou every day.
4. Both of the south section and the north section are suggested to climb. They offer different things to viewers.
5. Take food and water along if it is possible. Both of the water and food are expensive. And the food is not that tasty.
6. Toilet: There is a big water closet next to the entrance, free and clean. Others are all charged but unsanitary without hand-washing facilities.

More Great Wall Travel Reviews
1. My traveling experience of Mutianyu PAN from Singapore Jun 16, 2010 22:12
2. Just back from Badaling Great Wall! MATT from SG Jun 11, 2010 05:26
3. The Fading Great Wall - Datong Desheng Old Fort FOX from China Jun 5, 2010 22:44
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.