The Fountain Restaurant: Stay away! Xin Tian Di distrcit

Written by Apr 3, 2011 19:10
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

First of all, it always stinks when forced to write a negative review. However, the truth may set you free...right!!? OK, so my fiancé and I currently live in Hangzhou and decided to sneak away for a 3 day excursion to Shangahai due to the long Tomb Sweeping national observance weekend. We wanted our first night diner to be memorable, and decided to head over to the Xin Tian Di district for diner. After narrowing it down to two places ( some world best tapa place and the Fountain ), we decided to try the Fountain. The allure was the apparent ambience and chef's special they had posted outside on a billboard that was attainable until 8pm.

We arrived at about 7:45pm, were greeted in the lobby and sent upstairs for our seating. When we got upstairs, I asked the waitress to confirm the chef's special of a 400g T-Bone , with French fries and a salad that came with 2 glasses of complimentary wine -- she confirmed and said "Yes, it certainly does..." So, we sat a few minutes and then decided on the chef's special. After being ignored for 10 minutes, I snapped her over again and politely confirmed the chef's special again with wine. She brought out the wine and then took off without asking if we'd like an app' or something like that. I tipped my chair, turned my head and snapped one of them over again ( we have not even been asked yet for some water, or served table bread or anything else). We then told her we'd like the cheese plate and some water and to bring us the chef's special medium cooked. The cheese comes, but like typical Chinese fashion, they forget about the woman and only bring me my water. Snapped her over again and asked for more water. Finally, the steak comes. Let me tell ya, if you know anything about steak and Shanghai -- then you'll no better than to expect some skimpy t-bone, lettuce with brown leaves and French fries so full of cooking oil a heart massaging is needed after diner.......Whatever!

Diner concludes, and keep in mind we aren't even upset yet and rather just enjoying conversation and each other....We get our bill, and they billed us for the free wine-- another typical Chinese antic. After fighting with the waitress for a few minutes, I tell her to call the mgr. The mgr comes , and after questioning me for a few minutes, offers me some wine -- which i decline -- and then says he'll remove 1 glass.

Look, price is not something we care about too much. It's principal. We travel a lot, enjoy the finer things in life -- and know quite well what to expect! This knucklehead mgr' then keeps pushing the wine on meet . Feeling bad for him, I accept his "peace offering". Turns out his peace offering was nothing more than a Trojan Horse. As I waited for an adjustment to the bill, I realized none was going to happen. They said that because I had one more glass of wine from the mgr, it made up for the 1 free I should have gotten.

To sum it up, when you almost 1000 rmb for a diner, it is supposed to be nice, tasty, memorable and full of great service. The Fountain did not meet any of those expectations and it is obvious they need to seek a good ol' management consulting firm!

More Shanghai Travel Reviews
1. Do Not Miss Huangpu River When Visit Shanghai TINA from Pakistan Mar 24, 2011 03:29
2. Wonderful experience at the Shanghai Expo NUNWAURA from Singapore Oct 9, 2010 11:32
3. Very Badly Planned Expo meant only for the locals. STANLEY from Singapore6752 Oct 7, 2010 06:04
Comments (4)

Nov 12, 2011 02:25 Reply

ELSA1985 said:

China is big,different people behavior different here,but most of all is nice.

Xian tian di is tourist places,everything there is expensive,and many people and very crowded,if next time you in Shanghai,you can try sinan mansion(fuxin road sinan road),this is quite new place and nicer......also arround french concession a lot of nice resteraunt and bar.....much nicer than the bund.....

Sep 3, 2011 02:54 Reply

Mr.HO from Singapore said:

You sat for "a few minutes" before deciding on the meal you want and when you "snapped" to get the waitress attention probably may have make the waitress to pissed off.

Aug 1, 2011 20:26 Reply

Mr.ROB from Australia said:

You sound like a moron mate. Try chilling out and enjoying the country. So, you had to pay for some wine. Big deal! Whinger!!

Apr 29, 2011 23:38 Reply

Mr.Z from usaz said:

"typical Chinese antic?" Does this happen in all Chinese restaurants, or are you reacting in a typical kneejerk fashion?

May 29, 2011 06:41
JANIE from Australia replied:

not sure what this snapped thing is to the waitress, but it sounds very rude.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.