My 2nd Great Wall Tour: the Exhausting Mutianyu

Written by Apr 25, 2010 04:08
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Five years ago, I cycled to the Great Wall and drained me of all my strength on Great Wall for a whole day. Five years later, I came again but it turned to be another story. We didn't cycle but take public transit. At the northeast corner of Dongzhimen, right at the exit of the subway station, we took air-conditioned bus route 916 to Huairou. (Bus fare: 8RMB). Then we charted a local van at the cost of 30RMB to Mutianyu Great Wall. It took us 20mins to get to the Ticket Office of Mutianyu Great Wall.

There are 20 watch towers distributed at close intervals along the Mutianyu Great Wall. Our planned route was get to the 6th tower from the east mountain trail and then head westward to the 20th tower, and march westward further to the highest peak, and then get back.

Later May must be counted as the best time to visit Beijing. Mutianyu was not that crowded as Badaling. Apricot blossom fills up the mountain, making Great Wall a fair spring lady. Signal boards were standing along the mountain trail, telling tourists how many steps they have passed. It took us more than half an hour to get to the 6th tower after 1000 steps. I have to say that I was almost physically empty until then. So my suggestion for the followers is to take cable car or tram to get up there if you are not that kind of strong. Up to the 6th tower, despite hesitation we decided to continue westward. There was no more strong feeling than physical strength draining. I nearly broke down when we were heading from the19th tower to the 20th tower. The steps added up to those of a 30 to 30 storey building. When we reached the 20th tower, I had a spasm of one thigh. It was really a big challenge for me to go upward for the wild part. And I felt very sorry for my companion as they had to stop many times for me to adjust. Standing at the highest peak, I could have more time to see the view, breathtaking and overwhelming. After a short rest, we went down with the same way we went up. If you are not planning to get back to where you set off, you can continue walking forward. It is said that 3km west from the highest peak, there is another road reaching down from the mountain.

Back to the parking lot at the food of the mountain, we found the driver who sent us here was still there. So we took his van back to Huairou. Bus fare: 25RMB. It was almost 18:00 after we got back to Dongzhimen by bus no. 916.

Mutianyu Great Wall climbing is very exhausting. My 2nd Great Wall trip would be such a great contrast to the 1st one. I guess it would last forever in my mind.

Some tips for the upcoming travelers:
1. Use cable car or ropeway to go up and down if you are the young, the old, and the weak.
2. Wear comfortable shoes!
3. If you would like a more relaxing tour, ask the concierge of your hotel to see if he or she can help.
4. Don't feel pressured when the pushy salesman of the souvenir stalls came up when you leave the wall. Bargain as hard as you can!

More Great Wall Travel Reviews
1. A Simatai Great Wall Trip CARMEN_01 from France Apr 18, 2010 00:57
2. Fooled by Badaling One-day Trip SUPERGIRL from Australia Apr 6, 2010 04:04
3. Traps at the foot of Badaling BBQQ from China Apr 2, 2010 03:40
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.