What I don't like about my stay in Chengdu

Written by Aug 10, 2011 04:18
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

For all foreign travellers. I recommend you not to visit Ranfang Jie, near 春熙路. I visited a little shop there and was scammed by the owner and other's who work at near by stores. They blocked off the entrance and blamed my guide and I for breaking a pen holder and asked for payment. It wasn't about the money I am angry at, it was the lack safety for a tourist. I even went up to 3 officers on that street and asked for help. They didn't do anything and didn't even call the police when we asked for help. There was no help and no one spoke English there. The shop owner and the team of bystanders cornered us and screamed and yelled for payment. They twisted my companion's arm and yelled. Since I am a tourist, I didn' have access to cellphones to call the police for help. We got scammed by the local shop owners and the working officers just sat back and watched. They watched as they took away our money for things we didn't break and for products we weren't even close to. I felt completely disgusted by the lack of security and help in Chengdu. People didn't even offer to call for cops, not even ones who speaks Chinese. The same thing also happened to a friend of mine. She got blocked off from her friends and a group of people came and surrounded her and opened her purse and took out all her money and still said it wasn't enough to pay for what she damaged. Later on, we found other police officers but they refused to help and said you should pay for what you broke. They let you go easy. Some of these jewerleries costs more than what you have given them. We left with no hope of finding justice and the police that is stationed there is bought off, they will not help you. This is the worst experience I have ever had. And I will not ever visist Chengdu ever again. I do not believe in the local police force to help you out even if your money was taken forcefully. Every bystander is a witness that you broke something that you didn't touch. For all those who is planning to travel to Chengdu, BECAREFUL. Try to have a cellphone handy to call for help.

- Canadian Traveller.

More Chengdu Travel Reviews
1. My Wonderful Chengdu Tour with Fresh Taxi Experience YOUNG from Malaysia Nov 19, 2010 19:11
2. Snake-Oil Salesman of Shangli SICHUANCHINATRAVELER from US Feb 9, 2010 18:08
3. Sichuan China Traveler SICHUANCHINATRAVELER from US Feb 2, 2010 18:21
Comments (8)

Jan 4, 2013 14:58 Reply

Mr.WEINER from Canada said:

My wife and I have been to China more than a dozen times, without incident. In fact we regard it as one of the safest countries in the world to visit (and we've been to 65 countries so far) because the penalties for messing around with foreigners, where there is a matter that is prosecuted, are severe for Chinese. I have also walked way way off the beaten path in China. No problems.

We have been to more than 15 cities in China, with Chengdu being the latest (I was there on business for a couple of days last fall and will be back this month). It looked much nicer than i had imagined so am looking forward to a return visit.

Scams and intimidation occur everywhere. I've been pickpocketed by the illegal immigrants in Paris who run a pickpocketing business on the train to Versailles. Scammed in Rome and Jerusalem. Someone tried the same in Thailand ( a country that has cultivated an image of a happy people always at peace...) So it goes.

Of course, in China, not knowing the language allows them to play games and intimidate you. We saw this happen at the pearl market (Hongqiao) in Beijing, for instance, where the Chinese mafia control taxi access. Fortunately before my first trip to China I taught myself. Enough Chinese to get around and survive. No one would dare yell at me because I can give even better than I receive. (The language skill also comes in useful for bargaining hard at the markets. Tour guides will tell you to settle for 50 per cent of the asking price, for instance, but this is BS. 15-20% of the asking price is more like it...)

Yell back next time. Tell them you are with US Government (or whatever sounds impressive.) Chinese are not used to foreigners yelling back

Jun 6, 2012 08:47 Reply

CHENGDUER said:

I am so sorry to hear that you have such terrible experience in China. Actually this kind of things happen in every city. I don't hope you just think Chengdu is a city worthy nothing from you. In some way, shit happens. However, we can do in another way something to make ourselves happy. It is same as living the life. Next time if you come to Chengdu again, don't hesitate to call me and I can tour you around some interesting and beautiful places. Have a nice day.

Mar 9, 2012 07:03 Reply

Mr.MOSES from Singapore said:

Yes, this kind of scam did occur one too many times. But then, on one visit to China in Hengdian the tour guide forewarned us not to get near to shops where this will probably happen. Someone hiding somewhere will push some display items down ,and will simply fault you (when you unknowingly standing nearby). So, be on the alert - it happened not only in Chengdu but other Chinese cities as well.
Pickpockets and purse snatchers are always preying on unsuspecting tourists. My bad experience was in Haikou, Hainan along the main street (Haixiu East Road, near to Datong Road). The youth (mid-20s) even used a dazzler to shock me coming from behind . Momentarily I fell on the ground and was unconscious for some 10 seconds. Fortunately , a building security man came to my help while passers-by didn't give a damn. On return home, I have to nurse the excruciating pains on my back for 3 weeks.
So again, beware. In China any untoward incidents can happen.

Oct 6, 2011 09:55 Reply

Ms.ALO from Netherlands said:

Hi - I just came back from Chengdu and had the best time there! I'm sorry to hear about all these people that had bad experiences there but I have to say that I only encounted nice people. I'm a female, travelling alone, so you'd think an easy target. I hope people are not put off Chengdu for the above experiences, the city has a lot of nice things to offer.

Sep 10, 2011 10:56 Reply

Mr.CARL from Nigeria said:

Pls, could someone advice if i can catch a flight from Pudong airport Shanghai to Chengdu at 04.30pm on sun

Sep 10, 2011 19:59
Mr.STEVEN replied:

The flights leave at 15:30, 15:45 and 17:00 at the airport. There is a flight that departs at 16:00 from the Hongqiao Airport in Shanghai.

Try to ge t the flight details:
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-flights/

Page 1 of 2PreviousNext

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.