A Visit to Jinshanling Great Wall

Written by Mr. cHARLI May 12, 2013 19:59
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

I just visited Jinshanling today, and I must say, it is one of the most authentic and amazingly scenic sections of the wall (I have visited most others - badaling, mutianyu, simatai). Although it's the furthest away, it's well worth the journey as you get much less crowds, and although well preserved, some parts are 'ruins' and you get a real feel of the original Great Wall.
I woke up too late today for the public bus from dongzhimen. So instead I hired a taxi for a day, which ended up being far more convenient. 1000yuan for the full day from 12pm to 8pm (which includes about 200yuan roadtolls) - it's a bit expensive I think you can probably bargain down to 800yuan, but it saved me so much hassle not having to take the bus, and would be cheaper if you can share with others. The journey is very quick - 130km on a single expressway from beijing to chengde - takes less than 2hrs drive from beijing city centre. When you get there, I would suggest that you walk far west to the Zhuanduo Pass to enter the wall, then walk along the wall east until the Large Jinshan Tower where you can take the cable car down. There is also a small dirt track that will bring you down by foot at Maid Bun Shanzhai tower, but it can be a bit hard to find. I spent around 3hrs walking on the wall, but had plenty of water and photo stops!
An amazing section of the Great Wall, and my recommendation to anyone who wants to escape the over-tourism of badaling, juyongguan and mutianyu (especially given Simatai is still closed)

More Great Wall Travel Reviews
1. great wall BUBBLES from maynila Mar 7, 2012 20:00
2. My Great Wall Review GURPREET from Hong Kong Feb 21, 2012 23:11
3. Jiankou Wild Wall Travel Reviews TRAVELTOTHEWALLS from Italy Aug 5, 2011 04:19
Comments (1)

May 26, 2013 16:06 Reply

Mr.LOVEBOO from New Zealand said:

what did you see

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.