Hui Lai

Written by Apr 24, 2006 03:04
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

A Visit to a Leprosarium

One of the things that tourists don't normally do is to visit a leprosarium. But i did just that, in March of 2005. A friend took me on a 6-hour bus ride along the coast, eastwards from Zhuhai. We ended up in the town of Hui Lai. The trip was a combination of the boring and the extraordinary.

From Hui Lai one has to travel another hour towards the sea to arrive at the leprosarium proper. My friend is caring for the lpers there. I was impressed at her efforts to restore dignity to the lives of these unfortunate people.

I feel if we do only touristy things in a country, we will never get to witness life at the grass-roots. I have no regrets at spending my time in this way, rather than roaming the high-lights of Zhuhai.

Leprosy

I believe leprosy is still widespread in China. It seems ot have the same social stigma that it has in India and indeed in many parts of the world. I am not sure if the Government is doing a great deal about it; at least it does not interfer with those who wish to help these unfortunate people. I hope that with the coming of the Olympics, some of the slush funds will make their way to help these outcastes. I found them to be lovely, gentle people. I guess if I had the language, they would have impressed me even further.

In one sense, it is good for these people to be cut off from society at large because they experience acceptance at least from each other. On the other hand, it is good if they can intermingle with others and feel part of a bigger picture. Only in this way will they have greater dignity.

More Guangdong Travel Reviews
1. A blog about Shantou - it's worth a visit! MIGGYAD Nov 10, 2005 05:11
2. <A>Go Ahead...Look Back PRAISEHIMANYHOW from CN Jul 28, 2005 10:07
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.