Menu
Menu
Beijing Time(GMT+8)
New York Time(GMT-5)
Greenwich Mean Time(GMT)
Beijing Time(GMT+8)
Profile Travel Reviews Travel Forum Travel Tips Photo album  
Jiuzhaigou Travel Tips
Your first-hand tips on an area you have been to in China will help other fellow travelers on their trip planning and on-the-spot stay. Please choose one of the specific categories.
Tips 1-8 of 10 Page 1 of 2 < Previous Next > Page:
Write Your Travel Tip
Photography tip get a circular polarizer
By HOBEN01 | 8/2/2013 9:29:17 AM

If you want to make your photos standout at this park get a circular polarizer for your lens. I suggest this because i played around with making reflections in the water jumpout or times i wanted to capture the bottom of the lakes or times i wanted to use a slow shutter speed to make the water look silky smooth. Also i found the early morning in the lower sections to be the most rewarding because the mist gave a nice feeling to the waters

Jiu Zhai Gou...by road from Mianyang.
By POTTER | 5/3/2011 2:36:19 AM

I recently enjoyed a very pleasant trip from Mianyang to Jiuzhaigou.Jiuzhaigou it self is simply stunning...the mountains are just amazing to see.The waters too are really beyond words.

However,just thought that I would like to advise the following points:

1.By road from Mianyang to Jiuzhaigou took a very long time,we departed Mianyang at 7.00 am and despite driving with only a lunchbreak and three 10 minue stops for us to use the facilities we did not arrive in Jiuzhaigou until 17.00 !

2.The road to Jiuzhaigou is not a highway...it is long,winding and at times a little bit boring - some parts of China always look like a 'work in progress' with many building sites or river pojects that are not pretty.

3.Jiuzhaigou is very high,I am not sure about the actual hight abouve sea level - but as a consequence it gets cold at night,so don't forget to take some warm clothes.

4.The return journey...for those of us that have travelled in China and seen the standard of driving - well,you know that it is at best a worry at worst terrifying.The road back to Mianyang is sometimes inspiring - but after about 4 hours it begins to follow the path of a river.The road is single carriageway and on this part as it twists,climbs and falls as it follows the river's way,sometimes you are very high,with only a low crash barrier to stop you should anything happen.

But...the road follows the river for 3 agonising hours ! The driver may be very experienced but as we know there are many things that can cause an incident...a truck having a wheel changed on a blind corner...or a farmer taking his frightened horse to somewhere..just around a blind corner...I have to tell you that this was the worst ever raod journey I have taken and as I have said it lasted 3 hours.I am not a religious person...not easily scared... but I promise you I prayed to God to get me to safetly.

So,the moral of the story is please,learn from my words and my experience and fly to Jiuzhaigou - you will not regret it !

What I wish I knew before going to Jiuzhaigou (part 2)
By CSHANSELLO | 4/12/2007 9:30:39 PM

A few more tips...

7) Follow the wooden plank roads. When you follow the plank roads, you will see more of everything, and everything in this park is worth seeing.
8) If you only have one day, see the main valley, starting at the "virgin forests" and working your way down. There are more colored pools on this side of the park, and more places to walk.
9) Don't get stuck with what you don't want, because it will probably cost you dearly. We were at a restaurant, and ordered eggplant. I come back from the bathroom, and there is a pot of soup on the table. They said they gave us this since they were out of eggplant. Fortunately, I had already seen that the soup was 168 Yuan on the menu, and sent it back, ordering a cheaper dish.
10) This park is absolutely worth visiting. I couldn't believe how beautiful and unspoiled it was. If you want to see the natural beauty of China, this is the place to go!

What I wish I knew before going to Jiuzhaigou (part 1)
By CSHANSELLO | 4/12/2007 9:29:07 PM

1) Food and drink are not readily available in the park. Every bus stop has a toilet. I only found snacks and water in the village I visited and at the transfer station.
2) The services in the park are designed to work around the tour groups. If you want to do things apart from the crowd, it is more difficult. I didn't eat lunch during lunch time, and went to the transfer station to try and get some food. Since I was there at the wrong time (3pm) all of the food and snack counters were closed. I couldn't even buy a bottle of water.
3) It takes between 1 1/2 - 2 hours to go between the park and the airport. My mother and I paid 300 yuan for a taxi. Our hotel set itup. It was worth the convenience.
4) The airplanes out of Jiuzhaigou are always late. We booked our tickets through a hostel in Chengdu. We were going to transfer at the Chengdu airport, and go straight back to Nanjing. She booked the tickets so that we would have a five hour buffer between flights. It turned out that our plane to Chengdu was over four hours late, so we just made our plane to Nanjing. This happens often enough that the people at the hostel knew.
5) Buy: a tourist sketch map (3-5 Yuan), and the small book called "A Complete Tour Guide of Jiuzhaigou, A world of Fairy Tales" (29.80 Yuan). It is the most informative book I have bought in China.
6) I paid 280 Yuan per night for a decent 4 star hotel that was an 8 Yuan taxi ride from the gate (called the Kang Ba Noble Manor). Even this was a little high. Listed prices are never true, so haggle.

Jiuzhaigou
By ALMOND | 10/23/2005 6:10:35 AM

Jiuzhaigou is surely one of incredibly amazing places in China people want to visit. It's recommended to well plan this trip before you rock this place. You can try your best to cover every single spot in Jiuzhaigou, but you surely can't spend much time at each site. If you have time, give yourself at least couple days to explore this place.

You don't want to end up rushing walking or rushing shooting photos.

You probably want to re-consider if other places you plan to go are more worth it than to decide staying at Jiuzhaigou more couple days.

Jiuzhaigou is really really worth it to see. I wish I could have spent more time there just to sit still, enjoy and be with those unbelievably fascinating views longer than I actually did.

Wow!!! What a place
By BUDDHA | 5/18/2005 12:27:36 AM

To all you travellers out there, this is a place that you must go to. I went during the May Day Holidays, it was crowded, but if you like hiking you can get away from the crowds.
Around every corner there was something more beautiful than the last. Lots of waterfalls and lakes so clear that you can see the bottom. The lakes are a vivid blue and aqua. There are also many Tibetan Villages to see along the way. Which is quite interesting.
Also I went to a Tibetan Cultural Show in the town at night, which was very interesting and hands on.

So get up off you chair and go now!!

P.S I have been told that the best time to go is autumn. But I still thought it was beautiful in May.

Wu Hua Hai (Five Flower Sea)
By KATE | 9/18/2004 11:20:37 AM

The 5-Flower sea is south of Panda Sea and within walking distance - all located within Jiuzhaigou. The attractive feature of the "sea" (which is actually more like a lake) is the interesting aquatic life and fallen plant parts in the water which creates an impression of an underwater garden.

Another feature is the perfectly reflected image of the mountains and foliage in the lake.

Mountain Sickness at Huanglong
By ANGEL | 4/30/2004 4:09:03 PM

I choose Warning @ Dangers to post this is only because I want to get your attention here.

If you go to Huanglong valley, 155 miles away from Chengdu, please take the altitude into consideration. For most travellers can not resist the appealing of Huanglong Temple on the summit and the most beautiful five color pool at its back. It really deserves for a bight-yellow temple atop surrounded by mountains creat a harmony between the temple and the nature. But remember the Huanglong Temple is over 3300 meters above the sea level. Mountain sickness would be a problem for some people. I saw many middle-aged tourists carrying oxygen with them! I am near my thirty years old and i had a test. Jogging caused me run out of breath and the best speed is that of walking. I got a ten-second headache when I arrived the top.

The whole climbing is physically demanding for those persons who do not do any excercise!

Tips 1-8 of 10 Page 1 of 2 < Previous Next > Page:
Write Your Travel Tip