Menu
Why do you, a chinese, have a english name?
Aug 29, 2005 21:15
  • CROBERTO

Everybody (?) in China uses a english name. I would like to know the reasons. My chinese friend (italian name: CARLA) tell me: another name calls the good luck. She wants to choose a chinese name for me to give me good luck too. What do you think about this?
Aug 29, 2005 21:28
  • RITA
Well, it is a little bit exaggerated to say "everyboday", perhaps all the people you met work for foreign affairs office or do international businss, etc, they speak English. As I know, Chinese names are difficult for foreigners to remember or pronounce, if Chinese names are not correctly pronounced, they sound ridiculous or the meanings will be changed.
Aug 29, 2005 22:33
  • CONNY129
IMO,if u call ur colleague her or his full name ,it might be not polite or kindly ,especially someone who is older than you .so if you use English names ,it is much easier to call and sounds more friendly and equally especially if u deal with foreign affairs
Aug 29, 2005 22:48
  • CALIFORNIA
I agree with Rita,I have a english name only for the oral english class!
Btw,I am a minority nationality in China,so I have two names.But I think your real name has the most deeply meanings!
Of course,I love my english name,it is interesting,and easy to remember for my foreign friends,it is cool......
Aug 30, 2005 03:19
  • BENNER
first i m not agree with that . why they must change the name ? why only american names ?
they should use with the chinese name.
its kind off occuaption.
i met many chinese how learn english and they told me : from the first class the teacher ( american ) ask them to change the name to english.
that crazy

Aug 30, 2005 03:51
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Benner,we don't change our names!!!We still have our chinese name!You know,if you don't have an english name,it is too difficult for the teacher,he can't memory everyone in a short time!!!It is good for everybody!!!It doesn't mean that we gave up our chinese name!On the paper of our finally english exam,we use chinese and english!!!
Aug 30, 2005 03:57
  • CATHERINE
I don't agree with the opinion of BENNER ^_^

It's not we' change the name to English'.Our English name is just for the convenience to communicate with foreigners. Unless you are majoring in Chinese, otherwise it will be rather difficult to pronounce a Chinese name, imo.

As far as I know, no official acceptance yet for Chinese people's English name.

We use our Chinese names for everyday life, we use it on our citizens ID card, on passport, on all kinds of official registration form and so on...

Sep 2, 2005 03:21
  • BENNER
even its not easy for the forigener to speak and say the name in chinese. i m not agree with that. the teacher should be learn the chinese name.the minimum is to know the name off the students. and i m sure that the forigenr can do that. even u keeop use chinese name in id card...and more. i think the chines pepole ( at least in the big cities) lost part off the traditinoal when they use english name.
many cuntry around the world study english and didnt make new or change her names.
Sep 2, 2005 03:35
  • CALIFORNIA
Chinese is so different from the other language!!!Our pronunciation is difficult for the foreign teacher!Of course,they can call your chinese name by their hardworking!we only said it is more easier when you use english name!!!we didn't lose anything!!!
Many countries learn english,they don't use english name,beause their name can be pronunced as the similar as english!For example,German,France,Russian,even Japanese!
Sep 2, 2005 03:53
  • RITA
I think so, California

No need to be fussy about Egnlish names, it is not a big deal to use them when communicating with foreigners, we just want to make things easier for both parties. We won't lose our own cultures for picking english names. What we should do to keep and develop our own special culture is to enforce them not to ban anything else from another culture. Cultures have forever been confluent and mixed.

"The conquerer being conquered" when this sentence pop-up into my mind, I thought about Qing Dynasty, and how the culture of a weak nationality conquered another strong nationality with weak culture, it just happened, no one could help it.
Sep 2, 2005 04:20
  • CALIFORNIA
yes,I agree with you!!!
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do you, a chinese, have a english name?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code