Menu
because im not white!
Aug 30, 2005 20:36
  • YUENKONG
im chinese but i am british i have been in england for 18 years and have a bachelors degree and tefl qualified how can i get a job? its so hard and because i am chinese! is there anyone experiencing the same problem?

its quite funny sometimes people speak to me in mandarin but i dont understand and the shock on their faces when i say i dont speak mandarin!

i know a majority of abc,bbc,cbc and any others go to more developed countries to teach because of this problem they see the colour of the person and not the skill. not blaming anyone or anything but i think it just takes time for china to see the world especially because the population is pretty overwhelming.
Aug 30, 2005 20:40
  • CONNY129
Sigh~~
Aug 30, 2005 20:45
  • YUENKONG
yup thats what do everyday but a longer sigh........and aiiii.....but maybe a different city is better, shenzhen is way too competitive!
Aug 30, 2005 21:16
  • RITA
Martin Luther King's dream is yet to become true.
Aug 30, 2005 21:28
  • MISHEN
Let us know where you want to work - how long you want to stay, and whether you're interested in studying at the same time - maybe we can make a recommendation?
Aug 30, 2005 21:31
  • CONNY129
yep ,stir up ,we do already to offer our help if we can .
Aug 31, 2005 04:55
  • CARINA
Take it easy! Everything will be ok !
Aug 31, 2005 09:42
  • GAZ07
I didn't think this was a problem outside Thailand, but obviously it is...

In Thailand, schools are constantly trying to sell themselves to parents each year. A huge factor in the parents decision is image, rather than research. So although you may have a masters degree in english from the University of Cambridge, the fact that you look Chinese causes a problem for the school, because you don't look native.

I have black friends and friends from India and Nepal who've studied english at masters level, and whose technical english is better than mine (a native), but still found it difficult to get jobs.

Don't let it hold you back though, my friends now have jobs teaching. It's just a case of keep trying i guess.
Post a Reply to: because im not white!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code