Menu
Taboos (for laugh)
Sep 6, 2005 03:25
  • RITA
1, If you plan to bring a gift to a aged Chinese, try to avoid clock, because "Song Zhong --->Song=give or present, Zhong - clock" means burying a died relative. Zhong in Chinese sometimes reminds the eventual moment of people.

2, On lunar New Year's eve, the dinner will definitely include fish, even the whole family do not like fish at all; but on the contrary, even all the family members like fish very much, they should not eat it up. So, if you happen to attend such kind of dinner in a Chinese family, do not try to please the hostess and clean the fish plate :)

3, Married women are deemed to be ominous to appear in other peoples' house for the whole day on Lunar New Year's eve. I am quite confused about this one :)

4, We are not allowed by parents or grandparents to do haircut until the fifth of the first lunar month, and doing the haircut on the 2nd day of second month is greatly encouraged, because on that day, dragon raise his head.:)

5, The needlework for the whole first lunar month is prohibited.

6, Never say "die" in new year's month

Above are what I can think of now and some of them I experienced :) , they are interesting, aren't they?

Anything else?
Sep 6, 2005 03:31
  • RITA
I am not superstitious, though these kind of sayings seem so appealing to me. I am always thinking how they handed down from generation to generation.
Sep 6, 2005 03:37
  • CALIFORNIA
For the 4th,if you haircut,it is bad for your uncle(mother's brothers)!
Don't give pears to sb as the gift,Li means breakaway!
Sep 6, 2005 03:42
  • RITA
Califonia,
About the pears, the story I heard was that never sharing one pear with people you do not want to broke up forever.
Sep 6, 2005 03:48
  • ELEMENT
it's a custom in many regions, also in my hometown.
Sep 6, 2005 03:48
  • CALIFORNIA
yes!maybe it is happened when someone's wedding!we shouldn't give them pears as the gift!
Sep 6, 2005 05:17
  • ELCABRON
I was once asked to bring along a cuckoos clock (for an aged Chinese) because they thought this is typical for my country.
Man, hard to explain that this is just used in some little region down the south....actually, I always thought this clock was an invention to rip off tourists from Asia;-)
Sep 6, 2005 16:34
  • DONHFRASER
Never walk under a ladder, Bad Luck. cos you never know what might fall on your head

It is good luck if a bird splats on your head ( even if it is a bit messy)

On New Years Eve at midnight, first caller should bring a piece of bread, a piece of coal and some salt. This is now dyeing out as very few people use coal.

Never give a purse as a present without any money in it.

Don
Sep 7, 2005 01:51
  • RITA
Never turning over the fish even when you finish the upper side.

There are a lot more taboos when taking a cruise, people work on water seem very sensitive.
Post a Reply to: Taboos (for laugh)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code