Menu
Weather in Tianjin in November and lots more questions!
Sep 7, 2005 06:04
  • RACHEL88
Hi all

I have so many questions to ask about Tianjin....dun mind me rambling on.:)

1.I will be travelling to Tianjin in November till end of January. Could you please tell me about the weather there during these months? What do I need to bring? I heard that it is cold there. I'm adverse to cold weather..I am from the trophics!!

2. My chinese isn't very good. Will it be difficult to communicate with the locals there? Do the locals tend to rip off foreigners there?

thanks!
Rachel
Sep 7, 2005 09:48
  • NATEM
I'm from Minnesota in the U.S., so I can't really relate to being from the tropics, but I can tell you that it does get quite cold. Not as cold as Minnesota does, but sometimes it feels more bitter because it's a very dry cold and it gets quite windy. Pack a heavy coat, mittens, etc. It's probably going to be a pretty big shock to you.

As to the questions about communicating with the locals, it kind of depends on where you're going to be. If you're around the Nankai/Tianda area, there will probably be a lot of students who speak pretty decent English who want to "make friends with foreigner" so they can improve it. They can be invaluable resources if you find a good one, but also are probably going to hinder your learning process. People do try and rip off foreigners there, but no more so than in most places in China. Taxis are probably where you'll experience it the most, but even though recently I believe the taxi price went up to 8 rmb for the first 3 km, it's still quite a bit cheaper than it would be in say Beijing, and even the worst Tianjin taxi driver won't rip you off as bad as what I routinely got in BJ. Also, if you're that worried about taxis, public transport is always an option. I believe in November the subway is reopening, so that may be worth checking out.

Hope that answers your questions to some degree at least. If you have any more, you might want to consider checking out my website on the city, which has a couple of resources you won't find elsewhere.

Nathan Mittelstaedt
www.TianjinExpats.com
www.ChinaSchoolReview.com
Sep 16, 2005 18:15
  • RACHEL88
Thanks so much! I will definitely look at your website. I am looking forward to going to Tianjin.....but definitely not the weather!!

Post a Reply to: Weather in Tianjin in November and lots more questions!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code