Menu
How busy will the streets and tourist sites be during the upcoming May1-5 holiday
Apr 26, 2004 09:15
  • DENNIS
I'm planning to go to Hangzhou during the May 1-5 holiday and I just wanted to know how I can make the most of it especially since many people will be travelling at the time. Will the the cheap hotels all be occupied...will traffic be a problem...will finding a tourist group once I arrive be a problem...for a 3-4 day stay, where are the likely places to visit...can I just go around the west Lake on foot or will I need to ride some sort of transportation?

All the best,
Dennis
Apr 26, 2004 10:10
  • ANGEL
Hello DENNIS,

Are you in Hangzhuo now, or you need to take flight or train from any other city? If the latter, a little late. So far, the tickets for flights and trains are heavily booked and the hotel rooms as well. In such a short time, better to call an agency. If you are in the city, of course you can take walks around the West Lake. The crowds may beyond your imagination in the May Days.
Apr 26, 2004 12:31
  • YAZOO
Just a simple reply : the tourist places will be very very very very very busy ;-)
If you have the choice, try to avoid travelling in China during one of the 3 big holidays. Especially Hangzhou, I think, which is already very busy during normal weekends. If you want to find a cheap flight/train ticket, it's too late now and a cheap hotel will be difficult too. Maybe try a travel agency, or else try your luck on your own. But be prepared for a lot of people and high season prices everywhere.
Apr 26, 2004 12:39
  • YAZOO
One more tip : if you really want to travel in China during peak holidays (Oct 1, May 1, Lunar new year), but you can't stand the crowds, go west ! The more west you go, the less tourists you'll probably see. Try Tibet and Xinjiang province, which by the way are 2 of the most beautiful provinces in China. You'll still see tourists, more than usual, but not too many and once you leave the big cities, you will be almost on your own. Prices of hotels and transportation however will still be at peak tariff, but that's everywhere in China at that moment.
Apr 26, 2004 17:10
  • DENNIS
Thanks so much for your advice! I guess I'll try to mix with the crowd!
Apr 26, 2004 17:13
  • DENNIS
I guess you're right about the number of people. What I really don't like are big crowds and if that is going to happen, well, I might as well be elsewhere! Thanks!
Apr 26, 2004 20:40
  • ICANFLY
i am a native in hangzhou.
welcome to hangzhou!
hangzhou is a historic city with the famous westlake.many places of interest are around this beautiful lake.so it is a good idea to ride a bike when you are enjoying the nice landscape.and it will be ok especially in a trafic jam.you are strongly suggested to book your room before your departure,although hangzhou capacity for acomodations is highly improved now.
Apr 27, 2004 09:50
  • DENNIS
Hello Canfly,

Would you know a cheap place to spend the night at? I'm very much enthralled by the stories and pictures I've seen about your city. The May holiday may be my only time to visit it.

Desperately hoping for your suggestions!
Dennis
Apr 27, 2004 18:25
  • ICANFLY
pls kindly try this websites:
http://www.yhachina.com/hostels/hostel_search.jsp

it is the global website for hostelling international in china.there are totally 3 hostels in hangzhou.the rate range from rmb50/per bed to rmb300/per room. believe you can find what you want in deed. good luck.

and any help from me,pls let me know.
Post a Reply to: How busy will the streets and tourist sites be during the upcoming May1-5 holiday
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code