Menu
shanghai F1
Sep 13, 2005 07:32
  • HOTBMW
Hi.
I am planning my trip to china for the Shanghai Formula One Racing as well as the beauty of China. Can anyone advise a few hotels 3 to 4 star close to almost everything. Shopping, site seeing & the F1 race track. Where do you recommend? Is shopping good in Shanghai? Can you buy quality clothes as well as hard to get dvd movies?

Thank you in advance.
Rob
Sep 13, 2005 07:43
  • ELCABRON
HOTBMW....BMW is called something like beautiful or fast horse in China;-)

Yes, Shanghai is a shopping paradise....sometimes more a nightmare, but you can get everything...

But what are hard to get dvd movies in your eyes?

Hotels near the F1 track, sorry, I dont know. But a great place at the end/beginning of the Bund is the Astor House, the first and oldest hotel in Shanghai with a rich colonial architecture. And it is much cheaper than the Peace Hotel.

Have fun!

oh, about F1 tracks - they have the best street cover possible. I already enjoyed cycling races on the Hockenheim F1 track and the Nürburgring F1 track....maybe Shanghai, too, someday;-)
Sep 13, 2005 07:49
  • HOTBMW
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I will look into the hotel. How far is it from the airport and the F1 race track by taxi?

Hard to get, meaning new dvds that are at the cinemas :) Are these movies for sale in many places in Shanghai?

Rob
Sep 13, 2005 08:04
  • ELCABRON
The Shuttle bus (started at the neighbouring hotel called Shanghai Mansions) took more than half an hour, but they stopped at other hotels, too.

Ah, new movies. I dont know how quick movies are released in Australia, but I always got movies in China which got released in Europe later (sometimes a few!!! months later;-)
Well, those were pirate copies, sold in backrooms of shops and on street markets - sometimes even in real shops. I love China for that;-)

For Shanghai: Right now, only the street market two blocks before the pedestrian precingt of the Nanjing Lu begins, falls into my mind. If you walk up NanjinLu from the Bund turn left two streets before the pedestrian precingt. You have to look around a little bit because they sell all kind of stuff.
For prices tell them you normally pay 5 Yuan in Guangzhou so they cant rip you off too much. They will still try to get 10 yuan for the new ones....
Tourists spoiled those DVD sellers....it is a shame.

But actually you can find street sellers on every corner by luck....
Sep 13, 2005 08:08
  • HOTBMW
So the Astor House is approx 30 mins to the airport. What about the F1 race? Same?

So the Astor House is nice. Nice inside also?

I am going to Guangzhou also for the canton trade fair. Do they have many new DVD movies there? More than Shanghai? What about shopping for clothes?

Thank you.
Rob
Sep 13, 2005 08:17
  • ELCABRON
If you have to calculate by every minute, better think of one hour! Traffic can be bad in Shanghai!

For shopping, I would say Guangzhou is cheaper (Sha is right after HK the most expensive city by all means)

Oh, Canton fair;-( Can get really crowded!!! And hotel prices rise....

For ideas of Astor House try www.pujianghotel.com
Charlie Chaplin, Einstein, US Pres Grant, Bertrand Russell and others already stayed there.
Inside it is best!!!
Sep 13, 2005 08:20
  • ELCABRON
For DVDs I think Guangzhou is the center of this production.....but for cheapest street sellers you may have a 10% loss to bad quality, it can happen that s.o. filmed it during a presentation;-)
Sep 13, 2005 08:25
  • ELCABRON
Forgot to tell you that my shuttle bus experience is for Pudong Airport - which is for international flights.
There is also the Honqiao airport for domestic flights. Between both airports you have a bus connection for maybe 15 Yuan....

Sorry, I havent been to the Sha F1 track yet. No idea about connections.
Sep 13, 2005 08:33
  • HOTBMW
Your help has been great and very appreciated. I cannot wait to visit china!
Sep 13, 2005 08:48
  • ELCABRON
Have fun and enjoy your trip!
Sep 13, 2005 19:41
  • QQSTAR
I am very interested in this topic. The running car looks like fly. That is a really charming game. I hope one day I can go shanghai to see it too.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: shanghai F1
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code