Menu
Teanenmen Square/ Forbidden City
Sep 16, 2005 01:38
  • JINGPINAY
How far is Shangri-La Hotel to the square and forbidden City. We have very limited time in the city and would like to go around in the evening when we arrive.Any suggestion where we can go around safe in the evening? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Sep 16, 2005 02:55
  • CALIFORNIA
Shangri-la hotel is at the side of the west third ring road near Zizhu bridge,it is far away from the forbidden city!Maybe you know the traffic of Beijing was not very good,so I advise the you can take a taxi to the subway of Guangzhufen Station,and then go to Tian'anmen Square and the forbidden city!
Of course it is safe in the evening!
Sep 16, 2005 10:53
  • JINGPINAY
Thanks California. Seems like Shangri-La hotel is not close to places where tourist usually roam. I'm thinking of cancelling Shangri-La and booked to another hotel that give me better access/ if not walking distance to T square and Forbidden City.I'm also about ready to give up Great Wall
tour for half a day due to very limited time but I admit that's my outmost desire to see in Bejing. Is there a private tour to Great Wall that start at 5 AM? I don't want to miss my ship at Xingag port in the evening. Any Idea, anyone which hotel i could exchange for Shangri-La? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Sep 16, 2005 11:07
  • CALIFORNIA
hi,Jingpinay,yes,you can book a hotel in Wangfujing,there are many hotels!you can walk to the tian'anmen square and forbidden city!How many days will you stay in Beijing?
Sep 16, 2005 11:12
  • JABAROOTOO
Pity you don't have more time in Beijing.

You could try these hotels
Novotel Peace Palace (www.novotel.com)

Palace Hotel Fortune Garden is same locale, what's your budget.

You may have to resort to a private car to take you to the Wall?
Sep 16, 2005 11:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Not sure how accurate this is (Lonely Planet 2001)

A big tour line bus leaving from Tian en men Square from 6.30am (Y50 at time of printing)

Or Tour Bus 1 and 5 to Badaling from north east corner of front gate (Fobidden city) departing from 6.00am Allow 9hrs for the trip (Y36 at time of printing)

LP Quote " A taxi will cost a minimum of Y400 for an eight hour hire with a max of 4 passengers

If you take a tour bus check there are no extra side trips. Gate opens at 8.30am

Badaling is 70kms. Doesn't sound far but in China this can take a while longer than you'd expect.

I searched the net and found this company who may be able to tailor a trip for you. All the best. They offer a half day trip so it is possible to get off early in the morning and be back around lunch time. But of course you will pay for it!

Hope you make it to see the wall. It certainly will be disappointning to be so close and not visit.

For more information or travel reservation, please contact us:
Tel: 0086 10 87757081, 87757080
Fax: 0086 10 87757110 ( 24 hours )
Emergency Call ( Mobile ): 0086 13910100708 or 13901312027 ( 24 hours)
Email: tour-Beijing.com|info
Sep 19, 2005 12:53
  • JINGPINAY
Just one day . We are only passing by to catch our ship to Xingang Port @ 1700 next day. We only have the evening and morning to see the place. We really want to see Great wall above all. We are trying to get private car to bring us.I got 2 offers for $120 p/p. This include transport to port.I'm worried about possibility of missing our ship ( Leaving @ 1900 hr ). You think there will be ample time?.
Post a Reply to: Teanenmen Square/ Forbidden City
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code