Menu
Biking in Beijing??
Sep 16, 2005 20:27
  • DEEJ417
If this is a typical American stereotype I apologize in advance. However, I have always heard about how many people ride bikes in China for transport. Is this still the case, more specificially to Beijing? The idea of renting a bike and exploring the city sounds awesome to me, but I'm not sure if this is even possible as I am hearing that many of the old bike lanes are non-existent. For example, are you able to bike around Tianamen Square??? Any suggestions??
Sep 18, 2005 22:14
  • RITA
"However, I have always heard about how many people ride bikes in China for transport. Is this still the case, more specificially to Beijing?"

Sure, this is still the case. Think about it, bicycle-stealing has become a sort of industry, you know how important bikes to the people.
Sep 18, 2005 22:17
  • RONGRONG8229
As a cultural scene peculiar to Beijing, from the time of its birth, Hutong has acted as the witness of the agelong history of Beijing. Hutong in Beijing mainly started in the early Liao and Jin Dynasties now cluster round Xuanwu District.
Cost: RMB140/person
Time: 13:50---16:30pm or 8:50---11:30am, everyday
Place: Xuanwu District
Departure Point: Laoshe Teahouse’ gate
What’s included: tour guide (give introductions in English); taking a pedicab; visiting local market; visiting the family and drinking tea in local courtyard; cultural street-Liulichang; business street-Dasalar; Visiting old Beijing opera theater.
Please make booking one day in advance: Sophie, 13810161162, yahoo.com.cn|rongrong8229
Sep 18, 2005 22:24
  • BELLELI
good! if i have the chance coming to Beijing again, i must rent your bike and feel the chinese bike and hutong. thank u so much.

Sep 19, 2005 05:44
  • JABAROOTOO
DEEJ417
Bicycles are still the most popular form of transport in China's cities today especially where it is flat.

In Beijing you can hire bicycles from most hotels and do your own thing. Many other places offer bicycle hire, especially where tourist numbers warrant it.

In the posting by Rongrongs if you read it carefully it is for a PEDICAB tour of the hutongs.
Quite a different but still a good way of seeing things.

Happy cicyling
Post a Reply to: Biking in Beijing??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code