Menu
Chiang (Qiang) villages
Apr 28, 2004 04:04
  • FREDDYBOY
I want to visit villages where the Chiang (Qiang) minority population lives. Any recommendations for traveling to the city of Wenchuan and the towns/villages of Taoping, Heifu, Chongfung, Chaochung, Lixian, and/or Jiang? Specifically regarding transportation and places to stay there. Also, know of any other Chiang villages?
Apr 28, 2004 22:30
  • YAZOO
Hi freddyboy,
Interesting question, I would love to hear some info about that too. What I can say : it seems obvious there are buses from Chengdu to Wenchuan and from Wenchuan to the nearby villages, I guess you can try some local transport, asking around. Also concerning accomodation, I suppose that once you are there, you can find something, although it probably will be very basic.
Hope somebody else can give some more accurate information, I'm interested too.
Apr 29, 2004 14:40
  • LEON
Wenchuan is 146km away from Chengdu. And the famous Wolong Natural Reserve is in Wehchuan county. Lixian county has a 54km distance away from Wenchaun, Taopin is a town in Lixian, and Qiang village is in Taopin town. I think you can go to these places by local buses or you may ask for some travel agents when you arrived in Chengdu.

pictures of Taopin Qiang Village (Chinese):
http://www.bashu.net/geography/area_aba/county_li_village_taoping.htm

pictures of Wenchuan (Chinese):
http://www.bashu.net/geography/area_aba/county_wenchuan.htm
Apr 30, 2004 00:27
  • FREDDYBOY
Thanks Leon. Very helpful. I'll be going there this summer.
Apr 4, 2009 23:00
GUEST73181 Did you enjoy your trip to China? I have to make a presentation of the minority peoples group QIANG, and I need some more info. - verizon.net|shaoh.
Apr 5, 2009 10:11
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi there,

Post Earthquake things will of course be a little different. I stayed in Taoping which was just 30 mins from Wenchuan by minivan. Read my Travel Review on Taoping

Wenchuan would be the best place to begin with and use as a preliminary base until you have made inquiries about the area - post quake and costs of private transport and public transport services.

Lixian also has hotels and hot springs but it is on the far side of Taoping and unless you are going on to Maerkang area you may wish to visit on a day trip. There are many small villages to the south, west and north of Wenchuan, some opening to tourists others that may be of interest.

Minivans connect many of the villages and they are always available for hire. Can be anything from Y200 upwards per day depending on the distances covered.
Post a Reply to: Chiang (Qiang) villages
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code