Menu
AHHHH! Hong Kong
Sep 21, 2005 03:26
  • KYLE
Ive done my hours of reserch and found out a lot of info. Ive talked to some people, bought a map and a book, and am off to Hong Kong. I know theres lots of stuff do to there but does anybody have any secrets? Cool places to check out, cheap places to stay or eat, nice people to meet? Anything would be great, Hong Kong is a little bit of an intimidating place

Thanks

Kyle
Sep 21, 2005 05:34
  • ELCABRON
Some people say the Peninsula Hotel has cult-status in HK.....but you know what? If you really want to breath the real HK style you have to stay in one of the hostels in CHUMGKING MANSION or the neighbouring MIRRADOR ARCADE(NathanRd 58 - the huge Tsingtao advertisement hangs on the outside of a building).There is a huge number of hostels.

Once upon a time it was a luxury place, expensive hotels, mansions, apartments and shops in it, situated on Nathan Road the main shopping street in TsimShaTsui/Kowloon. But during the Vietnam war the GIs used it as a as their retreat with drugs and prostitutes, since than the complete area went down and never recovered.
Today these huge blocks are totally run-down and crowded with small African, Indian,Pakistani shops and run down mansions/hostels. It has a real dark bunker atmosphere with narrow corridors and bad light like a labyrinth with a whistling from every corner: Fake Rolex? Cheap suit? Marijuana? Girls?!? Massageeeeee?
Electricity breaks down sometimes and the elevator is always crowded or out of order. Stairs stink to heaven! But if you return from HK nightlife you have no other choice, or you return that late that is already in use again in the morning;-)
But it is possible to stay there for 50 HKD a night in dormitory rooms. Which sometimes means 14 beds - yes, every square centimeter is expensive and has to be used in HK!
But inside the Chungking Mansions there are also delicious Indian restaurants(well, apartments filled with tables). They are quite famous, that is why I sometimes had to wait up to 45 minutes to get a table - but it was worth it!

In one word, it is a MUST!
Sep 21, 2005 05:36
  • ELCABRON
Of course it is N in Chungking, not M;-)
Sep 21, 2005 16:54
  • GAZ07
Agreed.

I stayed in Travellers Hostel on 16th (top) floor, Chungking Mansions. It's less of a pain with the lift, you are at least guarenteed a lift down cuz it goes straight to the top floor after u press the button :)

$60HK/night and the chance of a cheap air ticket to Japan if u ask the owner.

Email u with more Kyle,
Later.
Sep 21, 2005 16:57
  • GAZ07
Agreed.

I stayed in Travellers Hostel on 16th (top) floor, Chungking Mansions. It's less of a pain with the lift, you are at least guarenteed a lift down cuz it goes straight to the top floor after u press the button :)

$60HK/night and the chance of a cheap air ticket to Japan if u ask the owner.

Email u with more Kyle,
Later.
Post a Reply to: AHHHH! Hong Kong
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code