Menu
Studying mandarin in China
Sep 21, 2005 15:08
  • RSANCHEZ
I'm going to be in Shanghai next year and I want to learn mandarin (hopefully...). I noticed some of the universities have a chinese (mandarin) course for international students. I've been considering two of them: Fudan University and Jiao Tong University. What do think about taking some of these courses?? and what about the universities??

Sep 21, 2005 19:36
  • RITA
Both universities are excellent! But perhaps Fudan is better to learn languages than Jiaoda, for it is much stronger in art and literature, and Jiaoda is famous for its science and technology.
Sep 22, 2005 09:06
  • BARI
I study in Shanghai International Language University (SISU). We have a lot of foreign students learning mandarin.
Check this website for course details:
http://www.shisu.edu.cn/dep/guojiao/en_liuxue.htm
Sep 22, 2005 10:26
  • MISHEN
I totally and wholeheartedly recommend it. Studying Mandarin was definitely one of the best decisions in my life. I loved attending the classes and feeling my own progress. I always say Chinese is the best language in the world, and I'm not kidding! COme over and discover why!
Sep 22, 2005 10:31
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Mishen,I agree with you totally!!!
To Rsanchez:As Rita said,Fudan is a good choice!
Good luck to you!Chinese is difficult for everyboday,including chinese!But it is perfect!
Sep 22, 2005 12:30
  • RSANCHEZ
Thanks Rita!
Bari, I will consider that one too, thank you
Don't worry Mishen, definitevely I will go to study mandarin.
I have another question (really I have a lot)...
How much cost to rent an aparment in Shanghai? It's expensive? It's possible to share an apartment? what places do you reccomend?
Sep 22, 2005 19:32
  • STLGIRL
hi SANCHEZ. Both RITA and BARI are right. Fudan is good because it hosts American MBA students from Wash U (St. Louis), and have associations with other countries and schools.

Because my mom taught both English and Chinese at BARI's International Language school, I am biased towards this school. It does have a lot of international students. And the area is cheaper to live it.

My friend does real estate, if you want, I can ask her where cheaper apartments are. But I won't see her until November. On the ball park, 500 dollars can get you a very decent place in an older part of town.
Sep 24, 2005 19:20
  • BARI
Our foreign students all live in SISU Guesthouse. To rent an apartment near college seems expensive. You can look for advertisements looking for roommates, or make one yourself.
Sep 24, 2005 19:36
  • DOUTIN
To RSANCHEZ:

I don't think that Shanghai is a place to study Mandarin. Even in the bank of Pudong Int' Airport nobody speaks or understands a foreign language [They speak Shanghainese!], so Mandarin is a foreign language for them :PPP

I just hope your teachers won't be FROM Shanghai if you go there.. :))

Good luck!"""
Sep 25, 2005 00:49
  • RSANCHEZ
Doutin:
Well, I don't know if Shanghai it's the perfect place to study mandarin, but I'm sure it's better than studing in my own country. Since I'm in the opposite side of the world, studying in Shanghai is much closer to the "real thing".
The reason I chose Shanghai is that I was looking for a big city, so maybe, sometime in the future I can get a job...
On the other hand, I have heard that Shanghai is a very attractive city.
Don't worry, at least I will learn some "shanghainese". ;)
:) Thanks
Sep 25, 2005 08:56
  • BARI
To Doutin:
Yes they speak Shanghaiese, but they understand mandarin. Mandarin teachers are very qualified here, without any accent. If they do, they are no longer qualified as a mandarin teacher. My madarin teacher in junior school speaks very standard mandarin that we all want to imitate hers. In China, compared to people from other provinces, Shanghaiese are very talented language learners. Maybe because the tongue usage of Shanghai dialect(That's why Japanese speak poor English). In my college, Shanghaiese' English are way better than students from other places.
So, please don't judge things from the outside look.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Studying mandarin in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code