Menu
Visiting Liuzhou
May 6, 2004 08:50
  • DOGDERF
I'm taking my first trip to China. I have friends in Liuzhou, Guangxi Province. There's not a lot of info on the web about this city. Has anyone been there? What was your impression?

Thanks.

Dogderf
May 6, 2004 21:46
  • ICANFLY
Introduction of Liuzhou City

Situated in the middle part of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, and with a history of 2100 years, Liuzhou is a well-known, historical and cultural city of China. The total area of the city covers 5,307sq.km, of which urban area is 658 sq.km. The total population of the city is 1.86 million, of which 0.894 million live in urban area.

Liuzhou is a hub of communications in area of mid-south, and southwest China. Railway lines such as Hunan- Guangxi, Guizhou-Guangxi, Zhichen-Liuzhou, etc. pass through the city. It takes 4 hours to Beihai and/or Fangchen Harbour from the city through Guilin-Beihai expressway. Boats can reach Hong Kong directly by river. The Liuzhou Bailian Airport is one with 4D state level. Airplanes except Boeing 747 can take off and land any time in a day at the airport.

Liuzhou is a key industrial city not only of Guangxi, but also in the area of southwest China. There are more than 1500 industrial enterprises in the city, 7 of which have been listed among the 512 most powerful ones in China. The city basically forms such pillar industries as the ones with mini car and medium-ton automobile in automobile and accessories industries; construction machinery and general machinery in machinery industry; iron and steel, and non-ferrous metals deep processing in metallurgical industry. Products competitive on the market are produced in the city, such as "Wulin" mini cars, "Liugong" loaders, OVM pre-stressed machines, "Liangmianzhen" toothpastes, "Yufeng" cement, "Golden Throat" medicinal sugar, and so on.

Liuzhou has grade-A harbor approved by the state. All kinks of administrative departments and offices dealing with foreign business are established in the city. In recent years, the city has made great efforts to develop urban infrastructure and service environment. The environment for foreign investment has been much improved. With Liuzhou's implementation of west development strategy, more and more investors both at home and abroad pay their attention to the excellent regional location, convenient transportation as well as strong industrial foundation of the city.

May 10, 2004 14:22
  • DAISY
Like Cincinnati, Liuzhou's focal point is a "fountain square" in the center of the city.

Liuzhou, also known as the "Dragon City," was founded 2,100 years ago. As the ancient gateway to Cathay, it was the end of the Silk Road over which Marco Polo traveled on his way to see the Great Khan.

Scenic Liuzhou is becoming a tourist center. Its towering "karst" hills and many caves add breathtaking beauty to this historically significant region. Liuzhou's "minority village" duplicates the distinctive lifestyles of Liuzhou's minority nationalities. As home to twenty-six nationalities, Liuzhou's blend of people and culture is diverse and rich.

Liuzhou was honored as Cincinnati's first Sister City in May 1988. From late 1990 through 1991 the Liuzhou Sister City Committee hosted a Chinese Minority Costume and Textiles Exhibit. The costumes were shared with Cincinnatians at city festivals and special exhibitions. A variety of additional exchanges are being planned for the future.

Sep 30, 2004 17:27
  • GRADYANDREW
Sorry to say, Liuzhou has to be one of the more depressing cities I've ever been to East or West. My advice to you is to make your friends take you to Guilin, though my guess is this is already the plan.
Oct 7, 2004 19:24
  • LIUZHOU
Well, I would love to hear what was so depressing about Liuzhou. How long did you actualty spend here?

For the 100 plus expatriots who live here it is far from depressing.

What depresses us is that tourist trap, ripp off fake city to the north. What's its nae again - oh, yes Guilin.

If you want your wallet gouged, be taken to the 'most beautiful place in China' (No it isn't, by a long shot!)and be followed everywhere by braying hordes of tack vendors selling stuff you can buy in Liuzhou for a tenth of the price (It all come sfrom Guizhou, by the way. There you can buy it for a twentieth of the price)then I guess Guilin is the place for you.

For the rest of us, we are quite happy to keep away from the Lonely Planet sheep.

So what depressed you?
Apr 13, 2008 13:32
  • LEON8ME
Ni Hao, Liuzhou, Zhaoshang hao !

I am trying to prepare myself for a visit to Liuzhou, the Dragon City, probably sometime in early June 2008. I have not found much information about the city; especially written in English. I am a beginning learner of Mandarin, I can't speak or write much at all. My trip to Liuzhou is a social visit, with the expected outcome of engagement ( of the romantic kind ). I would appreciate any info given, concerning best hotels for English Laowai, reviews of hotels & restaurants, contact info for the expatriate community, ... any feedback at all would be very appreciated ! I have visited Liuzhou Laowai website; I would like to get additional perspectives... Xie Xie !
Apr 13, 2008 15:58
  • ELLYSE
If you're looking for a girlfriend, why are you starting in Liuzhou, when you could have the pick of so many other Chinese cities?!
Apr 14, 2008 22:45
  • LEON8ME
Hi Ellyse, I've been interested in China and Chinese culture and custom since I was in elementary school, some 35-40 years ago (:o), so I guess my interest runs a bit deeper than the recent tide of Western "interest". I was intrigued by a matchmaking agency currently posting profiles of over 6200 ladies who are sincerely looking for marriage (as opposed to just simply playing games with internet boyfriends). I posted my profile on the site (having had enough of the internet singles scene in the U.S.). The Lady from Liuzhou contacted me first ! I was astounded ! She was age-appropriate ! She was gorgeous... in the classic Han style ! She was serious and sincere ! She could speak maybe 10 words of English, I could speak maybe 5 of Pinyin, but we persevered.. and she knit me a scarf, and shipped it to me from Liuzhou ! So I definitely want to meet her in person. After having done some research, I think my most appealing option is to stay at the Li River Retreat in Yangshuo (I don't like big cities, and I really like rivers :)). I would need to (hopefully) find a car and driver/translator/guide, to drive me from Yangshuo to Liuzhou and back. I had in mind to email JadeLeo, to see if he would consider it. Is this idea realistic, in your opinion ?
Apr 15, 2008 07:56
  • JABAROOTOO
You could just as easily take the bus from Yangshou to Liuzhou and back again.
Get yourself a Chinese SIM card for your mobile (assuming you have one)
Just ask you epal to meet you at the bus and put you back on the bus when you are ready to leave

Have a great time
Apr 15, 2008 10:41
  • LEON8ME
Thank you JABAROOTOO ! That is certainly the most sensible and economical way to do it. I am not confident of my ability to navigate the local area, because I simply am not able to read traditional or simplified characters at all, and I can only speak a few simple phrases, while reading them from my "survival Pinyin" printout. :) Very awkward for me.

How long of a trip is it between Yangshuo and Liuzhou ? I know it is about an hour and a half trip between Yangshuo and Guilin. Will the bus drive on the expressway between Guilin and Liuzhou ? Or will it go directly west from Yangshuo, thru the countryside and hills, and down to Liuzhou ?

In any event, I am anticipating the adventure of a lifetime ! :)
Jan 17, 2009 07:36
  • LIUZHOU
Ther eis loads of information on Liuzhou at

http://www.liuzhou.co.uk

and

http://liuzhou.blog-city.com
Post a Reply to: Visiting Liuzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code