Menu
First time to China - HELP!
Oct 1, 2005 10:27
  • SOONER
I am heading to Shenzhen next week from the USA and I have quite a few questions. I will be staying at the Pavilion hotel.

Entertainment/Site-seeing - Any ideas for what I should do during the day/night? Is there hiking in and around Shenzhen, how do I get there?

Transportation - what's the best way to get around in shenzhen? Is there an English map of the Metro system? How much $ are the tickets? What's the best and most cost-effective way to get from the SHZN Airport to the Pavilion Hotel?

Langauge - What percentage of people in SHZN speak some English. If I wanted to learn a few sayings in the local language or dialect, what should I do?

Television - Is there anywhere that carries the (ABC) Channel in China. I am a football fan and would like to watch college football? Any sports bars that you know of in SHZN?

Safety - What are some good tips for a businessman that's completely new to China and will be staying in SHZN for a week?

VISA - Can I get my visa at the Airport?

Money - What is the average cost of a meal in USD? How much money should I carry on me at one time? What is the exchange rate?

ALL REPLIES WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS TRIP...
Oct 1, 2005 22:54
  • HEROPRINCE
the exchange rat is bout 8 for each 1$
one meal may cost you 1 - 4 $
you can take NO. 330 bus to Huanqiang Bei, then need a transfer costs 8 minuts by taxi to Pavilion hotel.
If you meet problems, please call my phone 96977 , 25597777
Oct 3, 2005 04:06
  • CAROLYNE
Hey, One of the major problems that I faced while travelling in china is not knowing chinese. Asking directions or hailing a cab or ordering in a retsurant is a big pain. I tried this service called www.chinahelpline.com...you can call 021-6100-9700 from anywhere in china and get connected, they have wonderful staff who help u in giving orders to anyone in chinese. just tell them what you want to tell the driver or waiter in english and they will converse with the person in chinese and make them understand , its pretty cheap also compared to hiring interpreters or getting robbed or wasting time. I just loved it .

luv,
Carolyn
Oct 3, 2005 20:31
  • LORIDETWILER
I'm sorry, I have no information, but i responding to your user name. By chance are you from Oklahma?
Oct 4, 2005 02:03
  • KYLE
Hey there,
I was just in Shenzen and one tip I can give you is, dont stay in Shenzen. Its a wannabe hong kong, thats just what i've heard, i dont really know. Not so far is gaungzhou and from there you can go to the next province to the east. Gaungxu is sooooo beautiful. It would be a shame for you to miss it. Also Hong Kong is sooo great. You have to go there. Shenzen is really expensive. If you go anywhere else in China is at least half the price. Good luck with your travels
Kyle
Oct 11, 2005 06:09
  • CATHY755
Welcome to Shenzhen, it is a young and flourishing city. If you want to take homestay instead of hotel, please feel free to contact me.

Cathy
Tel: 86 755 26228096
Email: 21cn.com|blue_dew
URL: http://shenzhenbb.home4u.china.com
Oct 11, 2005 15:04
  • GAZ07
Commiserations on your poor decision to go to Shenzhen. It's a soulless, machine of a city that lacks any real culture (unless "get-rich-quick" can be considered a culture?) and definately does NOT represent China. That said, i will concentrate on the positives:-

SIGHTS - Splendid China & Folks Village is worth a look as a quick view of Chinas culture and sights. Bit tacky though as its all just recreation to be fair. Minsk World wasn't bad, an old Soviet aircraft carrier to look around.

NIGHTLIFE - unless your into Cabarets and other tired nightlife, you might be struggling in Shenzhen. Check out Shekou, it's "nice" rather than exciting, so go with a friend.

There's pretty good architecture on display (and a lot more that are half built!).

HONG KONG - it's just a subway ride away and is simply one of the most incredible, diverse cities on earth. The skyline is unmatched anywhere else in the world, the east-meets-west culture is great and its ultramodern city mixed with countryside is breath-taking!

Guangzhou, Macau and South-west China are close by which are all nice places for one reason or another.

Remember, best way to get the best out of a place, ASK THE LOCALS! They will enjoy the conversation in english, and you will know where to go.

Shenzhen is a funny place regarding language too, its in Guangdong and so they would normally speak Cantonese, but as everybody migrated there a lot speak manderin. So which do u learn? i dont know!

All the best.
Gaz
Post a Reply to: First time to China - HELP!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code