Menu
Language problem in China
Oct 3, 2005 03:57
  • CAROLYNE
Hey, One of the major problems that I faced while travelling in china is not knowing chinese. Asking directions or hailing a cab or ordering in a retsurant is a big pain. I tried this service called www.chinahelpline.com...you can call 021-6100-9700 from anywhere in china and get connected, they have wonderful staff who help u in giving orders to anyone in chinese. just tell them what you want to tell the driver or waiter in english and they will converse with the person in chinese and make them understand , its pretty cheap also compared to hiring interpreters or getting robbed or wasting time. I just loved it .

Oct 3, 2005 15:53
  • GAZ07
That's really good advice.

I'd like to add that a Lonely Planet Phrasebook will help you a lot too.
Jun 10, 2011 04:10
GUEST47103 Hello! If you don't want to call everytime this service you can also dowload Quickspeaker on your mobile phone: http://www.zhenmeiconsulting.com/zmweb/index_f.asp?page_id=55
It is composed of many categories of sentences used in daily life, and when you have choosen what you want to say you can show the sentence to the person or just let him listen the sentence pronounced by a native speaker. It's really useful because you don't need any connection to internet.
Hope it will help you!

Steph
Post a Reply to: Language problem in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code