Menu
Traveling from Chengdu to Tibet
May 11, 2004 04:05
  • FLAKCATCHER
I'll be spending six weeks from late June to early August teaching in Chengdu, China. I'm interested in taking a week or so after my tenure to travel to Tibet. What are the travel options from Chengdu? Can I take a train from that area (or nearby), or must I get to major metropolitan area and fly from there? What recommendations does anyone have for a one-week stay in Tibet travel-wise? Is a tour-package necessary, or can I simply get by on buses, trains and the like? Any information would be much, much appreciated.

-Matt
May 11, 2004 09:59
  • SNOWWIN
There is no train from Chengdu to Tibet.
Two ways to get there:by plane or by bus.
But I suggest you arrive in by plane.
Daily flights from Chengdu to Lhasa take about 2 hours and cost RMB1200.
Gonggar Airport is 98 km south of Lhasa city.
Airport buses take tourists to the city soon after they arrive.
The drive costs tourists RMB40 and takes about two hours.
Taking a taxi costs RMB250 to RMB300.

Hope these information can help you!
May 11, 2004 10:10
  • CYNTHIAA
Agree with Snowwin. Usually, there are two tourist route into Tibet region: One is from Chengdu by flight and the other is take bus from Qinghai Province into northern Tibet. But the bus trip is very very exhausted. Most travellers will choose take flight from Chengdu.

You can't travel by yourself. Foreigners have to take the trip with an travel agency, either by individual package or groups. Because, you need to get special travel permit through a certain orgnization.

But of course better to book with travel agencies before you arrive in Lhasa (the regional capital of Tibet). I suggest you look for good deal on the Internet. There should be many choice. But remember to compare both the price and the service. For there are many cheap deals which offer bad service. Pay attention to both the intinerary and accommondations and eating arrangments they offer. Usually, Tibet itinerary cost is more higher than those for other cities in China. Find reasonable price and service.
May 23, 2004 02:42
  • FLAKCATCHER
Thank you for all of your responses---they are really helpful, and I have a feeling I will be requesting the advice of the folks around here more in the future. As a matter of fact, see my new thread entitled "How to get my friend into China" if you think you can offer me advice on the level of difficulty I will have getting a friend over for a week long visit.

Thanks again!
Matt
Jul 12, 2004 06:41
  • DANWEVANS
Hi Matt,

I'm gonna be teaching English in Chengdu at Tanghu Middle School starting September ...

Would be really interested to hear your experience of CHengdu. Where did you teach?

I'm definitely going to try and go to Tibet. Don't like the idea of going with a package tour though. Does anyone reading this know if its at all possible to go as a lone traveller?

DAn
Jul 12, 2004 09:21
  • CATHERINE
I'm afraid it will be impossible to travel alone in Tibet. According to the regulation of the Tibet Tourism Bureau, foreigners can not walk around in Tibet without guide's accompany. So if you plan to travel by yourself, first the application of Tibet Travel Permit will be a problem for you.
Jan 2, 2005 08:46
  • PRINCE
so can I travel alone with my familz to tibet and we just go find the guilde in Lhasa?

Just go find it there so it will be any problem for tibet permit?
Feb 5, 2005 11:41
  • DORREEN
We went into TIbet from Chengdu last April and had bad experiences with flights.
Took off from Chengdu and turned back for the night.
Got there the next day. returning 2 days later were unable to get off the ground in Tibet as planes could not land as there was snowfalls
Next day spent all day at the airport again and finally got off the ground at 5p.m.The only flight to go out that day was ours. The plane came up empty from Chengdu in case it had to turn back.
Very litle!!! to do at airport in Tibet and no heating.If you cannot speak the language find someone who does and can speak English as well,in our case. Communication can be very poor. Despite all that I loved it
Oct 17, 2012 23:58
GUESTJALLGREEF Hello!
Please send us an email if you own shares in some companies. forexspot.biz|shareholders
We have a question for you.
Post a Reply to: Traveling from Chengdu to Tibet
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code