Menu
Xi'an Queries
Oct 8, 2005 23:17
  • CURIOUS
I am considering relocating to another Chinese city, preferably Xi'an or Dalian when my current working contract runs out. I am seeking information on the practical aspects of living in such cities.

I have gone online and am now aware of the beauty and attractions of both places. However, I would appreciate information on the costs for long-term accomodations (apartments) as well as schooling for children. I have a six-year old son travelling with me. I am working as a foreign English teacher here in China.

Thank you.
Oct 9, 2005 00:41
It depends on where you are going to stay and how big your apartment will be.
Oct 9, 2005 01:45
  • CALIFORNIA
Waiting your more details......
Oct 9, 2005 05:19
  • CURIOUS
Somewhere not too far from the center of town would be nice although I wouldn't mind travelling a bit. I am hoping for a two- bedroom apartment with a kitchen, living room, and bathroom. It doesn't have to be in an exclusive area for foreigners. I am hoping that my husband and other son (4 years old) can join us soon so this would at least ensure enough room for all of us. It would be very convenient if the said apartment could be near shops and the schools for the kids.
Oct 9, 2005 19:50
  • CONNY129
you want to settled in Xian or Dalian ,or both of them are in consideration ? How long do you plan to stay in the city you choose ? For most cities ,universities are not in downtown ,so if you have teaching work , it is not neccessary to live in the center of the city .
Oct 9, 2005 21:03
  • CURIOUS
I am considering staying for a year or longer. Informally, based on friends' experiences and stories, I have heard that an apartment could be had in Beijing starting from 2,000 to 3,000 RMB per month, and an apartment of roughly the same size could be had in Jinan starting from 1,000 RMB. I am wondering if the rental prices in Xi'an are closer to the Beijing standard or Jinan standard.

For the apartments mentioned above, they were all fully furnished 2-bedroom apartments with the standard kitchen, living room, and bathroom, which would be similar to what I have in mind.

I am considering both Dalian and Xi'an at this point, but I keep hearing more pro-points in favor of Xi'an which is why I posted this query.

Thanks again.

Oct 9, 2005 21:09
  • RITA
I think in Xian, 1000 yuan per month you can rent a good-furnished two-bedroom apartment with kitchen, bathroom etc. around the college area.

I am not sure about the price of apartment renting in Dalian;-)
Oct 9, 2005 21:10
  • CONNY129
RMB 1000 for month you can get what you want in Xi'an ,actually the rent in Xian is much lower in Beijing ( almost the most expensive in China ),of course there is a little bit difference depends on the location ,generally ,downtown and areas surround universities are higher than any other place
Oct 9, 2005 21:22
  • CURIOUS
Thank you very much to all of you. The information was very helpful.

One more question though. My kids (6 years old and 4 years old) will be needing some schooling when we get there. Already, I am trying to arrange for home-schooling modules from our home country. However, I still want them to have interaction with kids their age and to hopefully pick up a few Chinese words. Would there be double-language schools in the area (English/Chinese)? Are these very expensive?
Oct 9, 2005 21:43
  • CONNY129
there are almost every kindergarten now teach in two ways ,but English-teaching is just a small part ,the tuition would not be high. for the 6 years old children ,he should go to primary school ,but I do not know if there is any such kind of school in Xian:(
Oct 9, 2005 22:09
Please try primary school of Xi'an foreign language university. No 1 Gao Xin Primary school,No 2 Gao Xin Primary school. Gao Xin international school.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Xi'an Queries
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code