Menu
Overland Into Tibet
May 21, 2004 11:29
  • SNAZZYGUY
Hey:

I tried this question in the virtualTourist Tibet forum and someone suggested someody in this forum may be able to give me a little help. Anything would be super.

I'm planning a trip into Lhasa and am currently battling with the decision between a flight from Chengdu or going by bus from Golmud.

I'm afraid the expediance of my decision is being hampered by a lack of information about the overland route. I have the Lonely Planet Guide Book for China which talks quite a bit about both options but is a little dated. My main question is about the rather costly Golmud to Lhasa option (buying a return bus ticket and three day tour From CITS in Golmud (about 1700 RMB)) described by the authors. Is this still required? or are there other options. I welcome any input from those who have done this in the past or have researched the subject.

Thank You.

PS. Also has anyone had any success in organizing their Tibet Travel Permit in Chengdu and then taking the overland route from Golmud.
May 21, 2004 16:42
  • DALE
I've never heard of Golmud:(
Where is it?
Jun 16, 2004 22:35
  • VISITTIBET
Yes, one of the routes into Tibet is going through Golmud of Qinhai Province.

Jun 18, 2004 14:18
  • BILLIE
Hi,Snazzyguy!
I heard from from my friends who had ever been to Tibet from Golmud. He said though the road condition is better than others such as Chuan Zang and Dian Zang, most people srtill can't bear the sudden altitude. You know the average altitude is about 1200 km, and gets above 4000km. It is more harder than what you could imagine, and you can't beat that positively.
The bus of CITS you said above will send you to Tibet directly without any stop. So he suggest that you get to Tibet from other city by flight.
Jun 18, 2004 14:23
  • BILLIE
In additional, it is said that the Tibet Autonomous Region Tourism Bureau in Chengdu has been closed. So you'd better that get it from the office in Beijing. And foreign tourists must stay in a tour group, So it is impossible for you to get it by individual.
Post a Reply to: Overland Into Tibet
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code