Menu
Admission fees to tourist spots
Oct 24, 2005 03:36
  • ELCABRON
So has the Shanhua Si in Datong.
Oct 24, 2005 03:53
  • CONNY129
I have to admit that I'm a person with a very limited outlook ,I don't have many travel experiences :(
althought price discrimination explains why admission fees are different from person to person ,I still feel distressed to pay extra money than others who is privileged :(
Oct 24, 2005 04:30
  • ELCABRON
But you dont get ripped off in your own country;-)
As an employee of TC you dont have to pay extra money;-)
Oct 24, 2005 20:02
  • CONNY129
because the tourism supply can not enlarge in a short period ,its elastic coefficient almost zero ,that is to say ,no matter how high the addmission fee is ,the supply is fixed .so as a tourist ,if you want to enjoy the stunning scenery you have no way but to pay the fee
Oct 24, 2005 22:44
  • SEAGULL
Generally tourist are happy to pay admission fees. They came to see these places well aware of the admission fees. Kyle mentioned that one of the tourist spots charges something like 80 yuan. I too feel that it is exhorbitant by local standards. But if locals accept these charges, then I'm sure the Authorities is only too pleased to charge it.
Oct 24, 2005 23:00
  • CALIFORNIA
I think the admission fees are necessary!But we should have a uniform standard!I don't think it is a good way to differentiate locals and foreigers!

Oct 25, 2005 01:52
  • CONNY129
yes , I agree with you California .
I also feel uncomfortable when there is price discrimination . Everyone is equal ,why some one pay more whereas others pay less ?
Oct 25, 2005 11:32
  • ELCABRON
I have no problem with price discrimination for cultural/historical sights which have to be protected.

But I hate price discrimination of private entrepreneurs in China;-) Lets say a taxi driver or a street seller wants to rip me off, just because Im a laowai;-)

To scientific Conny:
The price elasticity of laowai tourists in front of the Forbidden City 10.000km away from home is the same as of the drug addict in front of his dealer;-) Both would pay every price because the later cant live without, whereas the first does not know if he will ever get a second chance in his life again;-)
Oct 25, 2005 20:00
  • RITA
Most people nowadays accept the discrimination on income, in China the gap between the rich and poor was witnessed to be enlarged, so is the gap between the countries. It's good to see that the governments and people are trying to do something about the income disparity, death duty, individual income tax ... etc (I guess there are a lot others). SO the difference on price to some tourist spots can be one of those above methods to regulate the income disparity. :-)
Oct 25, 2005 20:09
  • CALIFORNIA
To Elcabron:We have to face the same problem of you!!!When I go to the other provinces for travelling,if I speak mandarin or dongbeihua,they all will want to rip me off!But I think the degree will be lower than you:-)

Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Admission fees to tourist spots
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code