Menu
First visit to China?
Oct 26, 2005 23:09
  • SEAGULL
I think first time visitors to China usually have little idea of China, its long history and rich culture, modern architechural building, booming technological advancement etc. It will catch them by surprise. So I say, see Shanghai first before you see anywhere else. What do you say?

Oct 26, 2005 23:18
  • CONNY129
Shanghai used to a small seaside village but now a metropolis in China ,it is witness of the rapid development of Chinese economy .due to some historical reasons ,it is a multi-cultural city ,combined both traditional Chinese culture and modern civilization. It is a window to see what modern China is .
But if you want to know more about Chinese glorious history and see stunning natural scenery ,Shanghai is far than enough.
Oct 27, 2005 01:45
  • CALIFORNIA
I don't think shanghai is a good choice for seeing China firstly!!!Yes,you are right,it is so modern,Like SG,Tokyo,NY......
But where is china???IMO,I think you should choose Hennan\Shanxi\Shaanxi\Hebei and Shandong,around Yellow River or Changjiang!China originates from there!!!

Oct 27, 2005 02:11
  • SEAGULL
I pick Shanghai because it is comparable if not better that any other cities in the world. A modern China that will captivate the first time visitors. Besides, which city in China is as well known as Shanghai?
Oct 27, 2005 02:18
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,shanghai is convenient,you can take the train or plane or bus very easy!I think Beijing and Xi'an is as well known as Shanghai,even better!

Oct 27, 2005 02:23
  • CONNY129
Beijing and Xian are famous for long history and places of interest ,as far as modernization is concerned ,both of them can not catch up with Shanghai .
Oct 27, 2005 02:30
  • SEAGULL
Hey Conny, Thanks. Thats what I mean. We don't want first time visitors to think that China is still living in the past. We move forward...manned spacecraft and all!!
Oct 27, 2005 02:36
  • CONNY129
China has all you want to see:
history--Beijing ,Xi'an
modernization -- Hongkong ,Shanghai
natural scenery-- yangshuo , jiuzhaigou
minority ethnic flavor--yunnan
~~~
Oct 27, 2005 02:37
  • CALIFORNIA
Do you think if you come to Beijing or Xi'an first,and then you will feel we lived in the past???It is so funny!!!

Oct 27, 2005 02:55
  • SEAGULL
Conny said it so well. You get history in Beijing & Xi'an. My idea is to give the first time visitor a taste of modern China. History can wait. Pictures of The Great Wall & Terracotta Warriors are everywhere. Pictures of modern Shanghai, you can hardly find in the Internet.
Oct 27, 2005 03:11
  • CONNY129
I remembered once TCG did a China Travel Poll
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/poll_show2.asp?pollid=200509191008
"Which kind of scenic attractions do you like best when travelling in China?" only 8.6% selected they perfer modern metropolis, like Shanghai and Hongkong .
that is to say ,they do not care how modernization China becomes ,but what they can get from their journey ,almost half of them selected "Places with extremely beautiful natural sceneries, like Jiuzhaigou and Yangshuo" as their favourite
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: First visit to China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code