Menu
Single Child - Pleasure or Pressure
Oct 27, 2005 01:53
  • SEAGULL
It is a preasure being a single child. You have the best of everything. parents heaped all their love and material things on you, you, and you alone. Nobody else to quarrel and share with you. Sounds good!! But the pressure of being a single child is very heavy when the child grows up and the parents grows old. There are no siblings to share the burden and the responsibility of looking after the elderly parents and possibility the grandparents too. That can be very intimidating. When they marry each other, the problem multiplies. Each couple may have 4-6 elderly dependents. Responsibility and affordability is scary. Scary, maybe not for some couple. I believe that this is one reason the younger generations are deeply pressured. They are not even thinking of marriage.
Oct 27, 2005 02:09
  • RITA
Talk about sharing, take myself for example, I have two sisters, but I don't think I got only 1/3 of my parents' love, if food supply is no longer a probleml, having more than one child is definitely better than only one . Yes, we had a lot of quarrels and fightings when we were little, but we still love each other very, very much.

I am away from home, but thinking of a sister living close to my parents, I am feeling much relieved.
Oct 27, 2005 02:13
  • CALIFORNIA
One is good,No child is better,Two is best:-)

Oct 27, 2005 02:17
  • CONNY129
only one child policy made many "little emperors "in China .
I'm curious that we must be richer than before ,but now we only have one child ,decades before ,our grandma usually have three or more children in needy condition ,
Oct 27, 2005 02:38
  • SEAGULL
The sad part is that when the "little emperor" grew up, he is not thinking of marriage. The responsibility of caring for his elderly parents or grandparents are too much a burden for him to shoulder alone.
Oct 27, 2005 02:43
  • CONNY129
so the system of social security should be improved and perfected .otherwise ,there must be some social problems .
Oct 27, 2005 03:43
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,you are right,Seagull!I agree with Rita,two is best for chinese family!You will not feel alone......

Oct 27, 2005 03:53
  • SEAGULL
haha..California!! At least we agree on this subject. Thanks ....Aiyah!! we should agree on Shanghai too!!! ...hehe
Oct 27, 2005 03:58
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Seagull,actually,I don't like Shanghai!Sorry for my subjective comments!

Oct 27, 2005 04:03
  • CONNY129
as the singleton in my family ,I usually feel happy that my parents only care about ME ,but what troubles me most is still they ONLY care about me .
Oct 27, 2005 04:14
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,conny!It is a common problem in China!Don't worry about this,let yourself happy enough,they will reassurance:-)

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Single Child - Pleasure or Pressure
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code