Menu
bird flu
Nov 6, 2005 12:36
  • MSWORLDLY
Hi,

I'm a 60 year old woman with an opportunity to teach at a school in suburban Shanghai. My concern is the bird flu scare. I want to go but am concerned as I travel around China and into Shanghai that I will be in grave danger.

Am I being foolish or not?

Thanks for your opinion
Nov 6, 2005 16:57
  • LAURIE26
Hey

I dont think that being in Shanghai is going to be of any major concern for you - in fact, im headed there in a few weeks!
There have been several outbreaks in rural farmers on the communities around there, but remmeber, China has a population of about 1.3 billion, and there have been a total of about five or six suspected deaths in relation to the bird flu.

i got this from a news site.

"There have been four outbreaks of the bird flu among poultry in China in the past several weeks, respectively in Inner Mongolia, Anhui, Hunan and Liaoning.

Since late 2003, the H5N1 strain of bird flu has ravaged poultry stocks and jumped from birds to humans. Most of the human deaths, all in Southeast Asian countries, have been linked to close contact with infected birds."

Just avoid prolonged and intimate contact with paultry, and you should be fine. The virus has a s yet to mutate, and if it does, it wont really matter where you are - birds migrate, so the disease will be carried with it.

Its not all doom though; several members of my family are epidemiologists (its also my major at uni), and working with the WHO, research into a cure is being thoroughly pursues.

Fear of a global pandemic fo the flu is well one that is fairly relevant - but never, repeat never, beleave a single thing on fox news or the herald sun (for those aussies there with me!). Research into a cure is advanced; here have been 3 past outbreaks of the bird flu - both in china - and for the most part ravaging the rural populace. However, aids and cures have come a long way, and over the years, the number of fatalities from the flu have been dropping my multiple factors.

I spose what im trying to say is that dont stress about the bird flu, because chances are, even if you get it, you'll get over it - and that you shouldnt let fear of it constrain your travel plans - just be sensible in your travel, and avoid massive bird markets.

Have a good trip ma'am.

Laurie
Nov 6, 2005 19:02
  • MAY001
Wow! LAURIE, you are great! An experter! I do agree with you. Don't be over-panicky,be cautious with our healthy condition and avoid birds, I think that's enough.
Nov 20, 2005 05:17
  • RYANWASSI
If I were you guys, I would make sure you have TAMIFLU on you! Its an anti-viral drug, which you take in case you get bird flu!!
At least if you get it, you are sorted....
I have personally bought supplies for my whole family, if a pandemic breaks out, you wont be able to get the stuff. I got mine from here:

http://www.naturestreatments.com/tamiflu-source.html
Post a Reply to: bird flu
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code