Menu
2 types of rafting?
Nov 7, 2005 18:56
  • GOT2GO
I have seen pictures of rafting in rubber rafts on what appears to be white water and bamboo rafting on calm waters.

There must be two different places to go rafting or is it dependent on what time of year it is whether the water levels are calm or rough?

Also, are there boats that go south of Yangshuo?

Thank you.
Nov 7, 2005 19:13
  • CONNY129
there are totally two different places , if you want to raft on the north part of China ,eg. Gandu ,Ningxia , the water is feculent but stimulating ;in south part of China ,like Yangshuo ,it is peaceful and clam water ~_~
Nov 8, 2005 08:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Got2go,
Are you talking about rafting you have seen somewhere around Yangshuo or near Guilin. I know that there is something akin to 'white water' in rubber rafts to the north west of Guilin near Longsheng, famous for the Dragon Back Rice Terraces.

This was on a very small but pretty looking stream. We just went by on the bus and I remember seeing advertising and wondered what it would be like.

Of course around Yangshuo the rafting is on bamboo rafts on streams with very mild rapids or small wiers which may have a drop of about one meter at most.

I'm not sure that there is too much serious 'white water' rafting of class 4/5 standard available to the general public for safety reasons. On the occasions I have rafted or seen rafting in action I have never seen anyone wearing safety helmets which are required on the more exhilerating and potentially dangerous trips I have done or know about either in AU, NZ or US

Sorry can't answer you last question.

Hope the former answers your other query

J

Nov 8, 2005 08:39
  • JABAROOTOO
I am wearing a life jacket here but only to keep the boat man happy. We did eventually discard them towards the end of the trip and ironically any time we actually spent in the water swimming.

There was no time on this trip where I felt any personal danger or need to wear one but if you can't swim, and many Chinese cannot, then it is reassuring for both them and the boat man.
Nov 9, 2005 18:11
  • GOT2GO
I believe you have hit upon what I was looking for. I have been looking at website that have information on both Guilin and Yangshuo. Some photos showed the bamboo rafts which I ascertained were in Yangshuo on the Yulong River, but I could not figure out where the rubber rafts were found.

It must be around Guilin. No, I wasn't looking for class 4 or 5, or even 3. It was just that I knew it had to be another area and if there are two different places to be on the water, I would consider doing both!

I will see if I can dig up something on rafting around Guilin for the rubber rafts.

Thanks much.
Nov 9, 2005 22:30
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Got2go

Check this site http://www.uvista.com/en/guangxi/longsheng.htm

Longsheng town is an enchanting place. Continuous mountains not only produce rich plants, animals, and minerals, but also created wonderful sceneries such as Hot Spring National Park and Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces, which is second to none in the world by its scenery beauty. In the Yangmen Gorge, there is loft and rugged hills around it deep and narrow riverbed. And the exciting drifting about the gorge will bring you unlimited pleasure. Further more, a national-level reserve - Longsheng Huaping Reserve lies here

this might be what you are looking for
Nov 9, 2005 22:58
  • JABAROOTOO
Here's another new scenic spot opened for rafting in the north

http://gxtravel.com/Scenery/Readscenery.asp?Scenery_ID=9

Found also in Xing'an, Mao'er Mountain, rising 2,142 meters above sea level. It's the highest peak in South China. The source of Lijiang River is found here, and the mountain's dense forests are home to more than 1,000 species of rare animals and plants. Visitors can climb the mountain along a path flanked by primeval forests and waterfalls.
In the mountainous area 50 kilometers north of Xing'an is the county town of Ziyuan, where the Zijiang River has recently been opened up to rafting tours. On a 20-kilometre cruise of over 40 shoals and 30 bends along the river one can enjoy fascinating scenery.
Post a Reply to: 2 types of rafting?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code