Menu
Coal - Precious commodity
Nov 8, 2005 01:42
  • SEAGULL
I feel sad each time I saw reports of coalmine disasters where many people lost their lives. I feel so glad when I saw that action has been taken to reduce the accidents & the fatalities.

Nov 8, 2005 02:48
  • CALIFORNIA
It is the worst events in this year,and many mineworkers were lost their lives!!!
But I think the condition will be better and better,pray for them!

Nov 8, 2005 07:54
  • ETHNICEAST
yes, i believe coking coal is a important commodity both for the company and country, hence the company and country should invest in proper equipments and machines to make the work environment safer, especially so when these miners literally put their lives at stake to work in such conditions. if china can have the technological to put men in space, i think they should be able to improve the working condition of miners, at least there must be better insurance and protection. the best is to let foreign companies come and get involved and invest in the business, as they can bring in the proper machines and equipments.
Nov 8, 2005 09:51
  • ELCABRON
Coal - the black gold!

Well, many coal mines are private or even illegal, so the owner wants to gain the biggest profit and that goes along with the lowest costs in these cases. Most accidents dont get to the public because the owner pays some money to the family of the victim, otherwise he would go to jail.
Only the ones they cant hide reach the press.....so the dark number of victims is much higher.

So the best rules dont work if they dont get checked. And illegal minig fields dont get checked.

There is also an interesting movie about this topic, "Blind Shaft" by Li Yang. The setting is quite realistic.......

Nov 9, 2005 21:44
  • CONNY129
Cali,your pic is so impressive ~~

Coal is one of the most significant natural resources ,and this kind of industry is not allowed to control by foreign companies .
Nov 10, 2005 03:12
  • ELCABRON
I wish filter units would be significant in China, too.

There is a post about smoking/non-smoking....in places like Datong, everybody is a smoker because of the heavy pollution. You can chew and eat the black air in every breath.
Nov 10, 2005 09:21
  • CALIFORNIA
Someone smokes voluntary,and someone was passive!!!I just heard the passive was worse than the voluntary!!!
Yes,what a pity to live in Datong:-(

Nov 11, 2005 07:57
  • ELCABRON
Today Hu Jintao is visiting a major coal industry region in DeGuo, which suffered under the economic change away from coal energy.

Is this a hint for governmental plans of Chinese energy plans?

(I hope he will find time to visit the Carnival, too;-)
Nov 11, 2005 21:59
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Elcabron,for your acuminous sight,Hu will do it!!!

Nov 11, 2005 22:08
  • ETHNICEAST
hi conny, it is not so much of letting foreign companies to control the industry, but rather to let foreign expert companies to join in and develop the business. of course, the idea of keeping the profit for themselves is always the motivation, but like education, tourism and other industries, sooner or later they have to bring foreign experts with proper technology and equipments and insurance package to help out.
Nov 21, 2005 13:07
  • ELCABRON
China Daily reported an accident in a town called Shangwang. A 26 year old called Yuan Shenglin was rescued after 11! days - what a miracle. 13 of his colleagues were not lucky....
Post a Reply to: Coal - Precious commodity
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code