Menu
Train: Shanghai - Hanoi
Jun 14, 2004 09:08
  • BENSIM
Can you get from Shanghai to Hanoi (Vietnam) by train?
Jun 14, 2004 10:26
  • DAISY
I never heard that there is any direct train between Shanghai and Hanoi, even the direct flight.
If you want to take flight, you'd better transfer in Guangzhou.
Jun 14, 2004 15:36
  • BENSIM
Daisy,

I have read that there is a train from Beijing all the way through to Hanoi (takes a few days). Just can't seem to find much information on it though. I suppose it may be an option to fly from Shanghai to Gangzhou, but train would probably be cheaper.

Is it difficult to get flights at last minute in China?
Nov 18, 2009 13:41
GUESTBROOKLY... The problem with the 40 hour train is that it comes twice a week and is often booked for weeks ahead of time.

A cheaper, and much better way to go from Beijing to Hanoi, is to take a train to Nanning china (28 hours), costs about $70. USD for a first class "soft sleeper" and maybe half that for a "seat." This train runs more frequently. Then take a bus from Nanning to Hanoi (6 hours, very beautiful countryside), costs $12. This way is faster and much cheaper than the 40 hour train. Nanning is an interesting and inexpensive city. The tricky part is that the bus to Vietnam leaves twice daily, I think at 7 & 9 AM. In case you are forced to stay the night in Nanning, you will still get there faster than the 40 hour train.

I was annoyed that I had to put 2 American dollars in my passport as a "tax," when crossing the border into Vietnam. I don't suggest asking for a receipt.
Also, beware of people running up to you and telling you that your bus left and now you have to take a cab. The scammer's even went as far as to try to convince me that the bus I was climbing onto wasn't my bus, while I was looking at one of my bags in the window. Insane!
If you are coming from Beijing, you will probably be used to this sort of thing. But be warned, then be confident that your bus IS STILL THERE.

Remember that most of these bus drivers are paid commissions from guest houses. So at the end of your journey, someone (likely a woman) will board the bus and try to show you a room, with no obligations. She may offer you a free ride to the old district. TAKE THE FREE RIDE! A cab driver may increase the speed on the meter and charge you a small fortune, while driving you around in circles until you tell him you have no more money.

As far as the train ride, it is very convenient that the train stations in Beijing actually deliver the tickets. So if you get confused by the 4 major train stations, you can have your hostel or hotel manager order the tickets for you.
Happy travels!
Nov 18, 2009 13:53
I just wrote a detailed post about this and lost it. So for quick, cheap direction, this is what you do...
Take a train from Beijing to Nanning. $70.usd for a soft sleeper, and takes about 28 hours. Remember, a hard sleeper, or a seat could be half as much. The take a $12. bus from Nanning to Hanoi; it takes about 6 hours. There will be people at the Vietnamese border that tell you that your bus left and you need to take a cab. They are LYING, your bus is waiting for you in the parking lot. The bus from Nanning only leaves twice daily, but even if you must spend a night in Nanning it will still take less time than the 40 hour bus. Besides, the food is great in Nanning!

safe travels!
BrookylnJeanne
Nov 18, 2009 13:57
Oh yeah, and to get from Shanghai to Beijing is an overnight train, $20-40. depending on the class. The train gets in at 7AM and the train to Nanning leaves at 6 PM. That gives you the day to enjoy Beijing. Just remember that they are 2 different train stations.
Post a Reply to: Train: Shanghai - Hanoi
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code