Menu
question about US airport customs
Nov 15, 2005 01:03
  • NORTH
I dont think there is an existing topic on this, and I have to know.

Ive bought a dvd player, dvds, mp3 player, clothes, a phone, and so on and plan to bring it back to US. Do I really have to declare all of this upon returning to the US?

Also they gave me a customs slip on the plane and chinese customs took it from me without giving me a copy. I didnt declare anything bout having a watch, phone, or a camera with me to China. Will they make me pay import duty on that?

Very worried since this is my first time abroad and not knowledgable bout US customs regulations.
Nov 15, 2005 08:12
  • KEVINKIKI
If you still can find those items original invoice then it will be no problem. No any duty when you bring them back to USA.

Jul 5, 2008 09:45
GUEST24082 Hi,

My father and my stepmom came to visit me in China (I live here, but I am from the US), and they brought a camera which they have decided they would like to leave with me, because I didn't bring a camera a year ago when I came. Is this ok? Thank you for your information

Sincerely,
Katherine Miller
Jul 5, 2008 23:00
  • JABAROOTOO
Relax,

Firstly Go and have a look at the US Customs website. It will all be there for you to see.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Second:
Everyone travels with at least one camera, MP3 player, mobile phone, clothes, etc so even if you bought them here in China you should not have to declare them since they are you personal use items.

Third:
The DVD player and DVD's may attract some attention. Do not try to take loads of DVD's that you have bought for only Y5 or so.
You need not declare the player if you have the purchase dockets that are dated proving that you have been using it while you were here.

Remember customs allows a certain amount of electrical goods, tobacco, alcohol and perfume without duty. If you are within these limits you will be OK

Aug 28, 2008 20:28
GUEST33107 I want to bring my host parents a present when I go abroad to China this year. Is it ok to bring honey or maple syrup as a gift. will it get through Chinese customs or will it be taken out of my luggage?
Thanks!
AK
Aug 28, 2008 22:24
  • ELLYSE
Should be ok in check-in luggage.
Aug 28, 2008 22:57
  • JCNILE123
Do not worry they do not care...

I have made the travel many times over round trip USA-CHINA-USA.
Oct 13, 2009 18:29
GUEST22428 I am returning to the USA from China, landing in San Francisco, but the ticket takes me on to Los Angeles. I no longer want to go on. Do I do customs in San Fran or LA? If San Fran, I can simply not show up for the LA leg, but I need to make sure my bags dont go on to LA! Thansk.
Oct 16, 2009 21:42
GUEST81150 I will be visiting friends in Belgium and plan on doing a lot of the cooking. I will be bringing a bag of herbs and spices and a bag of white items such as baking powder etc. Will these be mistaken for drugs in customs? I'm scared!
Feb 8, 2010 23:01
GUEST11749 I need to bring 15 canisters of formula to my teacher in China, will airport customs have a problem with this?
Jul 12, 2011 09:47
GUEST28171 How many bottles of wine and liquor can a non-resident bring into the USA while visiting for a week.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: question about US airport customs
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code