Menu
Travelling from Lhasa to Beijing
Nov 15, 2005 11:53
  • LYDS1023
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help. Does anybody know the distance from Lhasa to Beijing via the 3 gorges dam - travelling by road/on foot?
or even if it is do- able?
Thanks,
L
Nov 15, 2005 19:17
  • CONNY129
You can go to Chengdu first and then to Lhasa .
the distance between Beijing and Chengdu is 2000 km . Chengdu to Lhasa almost 1500km
Nov 15, 2005 19:40
  • RITA
Take flight from Lhasa to Chongqing (available every Tue and Sat respectively during Nov 1, 2005-Mar 25, 2006) then three gorges dam, then back to Beijing by flight via Yichang or Wuhan.

If your schedule can not meet the flight Lhasa/ CHongqing, you can choose taking flight to Chengdu from Lhasa and then take shuttle bus to CHongqing to catch the cruise.

Traveling by road is very challenging especially the Lhasa to Chongqing/Chengdu, traveling on is hardly possible:)
Nov 15, 2005 19:52
  • CONNY129
Oh ,You can go to Chengdu first:P and then take bus to Chongqing to catch the cruise ,but there is potential risk if you travel by bus from Lhasa to chengdu during the rain seasons .
Nov 15, 2005 20:12
  • RITA
:D
I missed a "foot" here, sorry:

Traveling by road is very challenging especially the Lhasa to Chongqing/Chengdu, traveling on ^ is hardly possible:)
Nov 17, 2005 10:10
  • JABAROOTOO
Hey Rita I guess he'll have two feet at least.

Just to encourage you. Summer of 2004 we met a young man from Shanghai who was cycling to Kashgar in Xinjiang. We met him in Jiayuguan Gansu. He was travelling light and rough but having the expereince of a lifetime.

From Tibet to Beijing would be a similar epic and I'm not sure how easy it would be to go via the Three Gorges as the road does not travel along the river banks but ducks away in quite circuitous detours.

I read a blog somewhere online recently about some guys and one girl who cycled across Tibet into Nepal or India when it was harder for foreigners to get around and they had some 'fun' but certainly survived to tell thier story. Do a search and see what you can find.

However you could alternate between a variety of transport and still make the 'Guiness book of records' for the most milage on foot across China except maybe that of Mao's Red Army. You may not top that but if he could take his army through China on foot then so can you.

Good luck and don't forget to write us when you get done.

Nov 17, 2005 10:25
  • JABAROOTOO
More on Mao's Red Army

It travelled a lot by night and 'silently' to elude the enemy as much as possible

It avoided major roads of which there are many more and far superior quality than the 1930's travelling on often steepand muddy mountain trails.

It travelled through the mountains of western Sichuan during a bitter freezing winter and across the swamps of Qinghai where there were no roads at great peril to it's soldiers.

It's more do able today than it was then.

Post a Reply to: Travelling from Lhasa to Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code