Menu
Beijing Olympics 2008
Nov 19, 2005 18:50
  • GAZ07
There have been recent reports in UK media that very young Chinese gymnasts are being pushed too far, even being described as "abused" by their coaches in the build up to Beijing 2008.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4-1877621,00.html

Of course, this happens in all countries in all sports all over the world. What are you opinions? Have we taken the fun out of sport? Is sport taken too serious? What are the affects on this children in the future?
Nov 19, 2005 20:14
  • SNOWBIRD
Maybe the Brits are just plain jealous of the success of the Chinese gymnasts. They can't do this to their kids or they will be charged with child-abuse. So what do they do? They discredit the Chinese.

Chinese gymnasts train hard and at a young age. They win trophies and honour for the country.

The Brits also train them young. But not as gymnasts but as soccer hooligans. Manchester United is a great club famous for 2 things. Great players and great hooligans. Soccer hooligans go on rampage in Europe in the name of soccer!! LOL
Nov 19, 2005 20:35
  • SNOWBIRD
But the British are also known for their bulldogs. They are one of the best breeds of fighting dogs.

And in their heydays, no team can beat these other bulldogs .... Davey Boy Smith & The Dynamite Kid.... tag-team wresting champion known collectively as The British Bulldogs. They're great.

Nov 19, 2005 20:36
  • SNOWBIRD
Davey Boy Smith

Nov 19, 2005 20:37
  • SNOWBIRD
The Dynamite Kid

Nov 19, 2005 21:01
  • PINETREE
The West and Australia are always on the look out for reasons to criticise China ( or for that matter any other developing countries that are catching up and threatening their position )in everything from sports, business, politics to human rights, etc. They love to stamp their alleged superiority over others despite they themselves having gone down that road before.
Whether the Chinese athletes are being pushed too hard or not is not for them to say.
Why can't people just mind their own business ? I think they are bored with their own lives.
Nov 20, 2005 02:38
  • ELCABRON
I really love those objectice answers of political officers....
It is like telling people the smog in certain cities is just fog;-)
Nov 20, 2005 15:00
  • ELCABRON
To Wocca:

Pinetree is not worth all the writing. He/She/It has no arguements but lot of hot air....and a major minority complex;-)
Nov 20, 2005 19:19
  • GAZ07
Firstly, 5-time Gold medalist Matthew Pincent would not write an article about Chinese gymnasts out of Jealousy.

Secondly, Britain does not "train" hooligans. That's just stupid.

Thirdly, this post is NOT, I repeat for Pinetree and Songbird, !NOT! an attack on China. I (and matthew pincent) was using the gymnasts as an example of how we have become obsessed with being successful at the Olympics, and sport in general.

If you read correctly, i mention it's a WORLDWIDE problem. Another example is the constant drug abuse in the UK and US and other countries.

The points i was hoping to raise:-
Do you think it's right to push increasingly younger children to the limit or possibly further? and what about their future health?

Are we taking Olympics too seriously, or maybe we are being fiercely competitive just as the Romans themselves were?

**Mature posts only please**

Nov 20, 2005 19:47
  • GAZ07
Again, apologies for the misspelling!
Nov 20, 2005 21:06
  • CONNY129
every time when I saw young children perform acrobatics ,I felt it is really marvelous ,they can achieve such incredible task well and I really felt proud of them ,but at the second thought ,I felt they are realy pitful ,they lost innocent delight a child should deserve in his childhood ,a mature expression on their babyish faces make me feel they are not children any more .
I can not distinguish whether it is good or not for a child training so hard to get personal achievement ( of cos not all of them can be successful in their career ) ,I just hope they enjoy their training and could get some achievement in their future .
God bless them .
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Beijing Olympics 2008
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code