Menu
Misspellings!
Nov 21, 2005 02:44
  • PEA28COCK
Just a moment ago I came across a misspelling in a very authoritative website. In fact is a very serious mistake, because it refers to a landmeasure. The editor mistook kilometer for meter. As a Chinese saying goes:失之毫厘,谬以千里。It means that even a misspelled letter can result in totally different meaning therefore misleading people.

Nov 21, 2005 02:51
  • PEA28COCK
There are so many misspellings in publications nowadays. The reason is that there are a large group of irresponsible editors, writers and other press-correctors. They rarely take those misspellings into their consideration. people will definitely be misled those publications. Most probably people's attitude will be seriously influenced by those silly mistakes. Therefore hatred or some other kinds of unfriendly attitude will be formed. :)
Nov 21, 2005 02:52
  • GIREESHAKS
Hello,
What ia the meaning of this Chinse word (sentence)- 失之毫厘,谬以千里。. Can you explain in English.

Bcos I don't know Chinese, but I would like to learn Chinese.

Thanks & regards.
Gireesha.KS
from Bangalore, India

Nov 21, 2005 03:00
  • CALIFORNIA
I think it means"a little miss is as good as a mile"!Not very correctly!Sorry!

Nov 21, 2005 03:02
  • GIREESHAKS
Dear California,
will chwck with other guys in the Forum.

Thanks for ur reply......
Nov 21, 2005 03:06
  • PEA28COCK
Thank you very much for your explanation, California. It is almost the same as that in the dictionary.
Nov 21, 2005 09:42
  • CALIFORNIA
Actually,I have a memory of this idiom when I was in studying!

Nov 21, 2005 18:08
  • SNOWBIRD
The correct english idiom is :
"A miss is as good as a mile"

The meaining is that it does not matter how miss or lose the objective, the end result is still the same. You still miss or lose the objective.

There are many ways to use this idiom in everyday life.....for example :

1. In a lucky draw, if you miss by just 1 number you will not win the price. It is the same as missing all the numbers. So you can say, a miss is as good as a mile.

2. In football, if the ball misses the goalpost by 1 centimetre it is the same as missing the goalpost by a mile. The ball still did not go in.

3. You ran very fast to try to catch the bus but you miss it by 1 minute. Next bus is 30 minutes later. You miss the bus by 30 minutes. So a miss is as good as a mile.

Post a Reply to: Misspellings!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code