Menu
Marathon upon the City Wall
Nov 21, 2005 21:21
  • CONNY129
Xi'an Marathon Competition which is hold at the first Sat.in Nov.every year has been successfully held 11 times ,this year the racing way was lengthened to 13.7 kilometers(a whole round of the city wall ).
The competition attracts running-lovers all over the world , they thought it is really an enjoyment to run upon the ancient city wall to learn the modern and tradition of Xi'an .But some cultural relic protecter believed that it will bring damage to the old city wall .
what do you think ?
Nov 21, 2005 22:35
  • PEA28COCK
Hi, conny, I feel confused. Why marathon can cause damage to the old city wall?
What is the explanation of those cultural relic protectors? :(
Nov 22, 2005 18:54
  • CONNY129
It is said that too many runners run upon the city wall will bring collapse ,can you believe ? I don't .
Nov 22, 2005 20:21
  • PEA28COCK
I cannot understand their explanation. It is so vague for me for I know nothing about physics.

My personal opinion is that running cannot make the old city wall collapse. :)
Nov 22, 2005 20:29
  • CONNY129
So it is !
Unfortunately ,although I pass throught the city wall everyday ,I haven't been upon it in person to check whether it is solid enough :p but it seems really firm and massive
Nov 22, 2005 22:20
  • PINETREE
I think over the long run, it can have an effect on the wall.
Little drops of rain make up the ocean, friends.
Feb 12, 2006 05:50
  • DONHFRASER
Hi Rita

There is no way runners could cause those walls to collapse. When I came to Xian we were greeted at the Northern Gate? near the railway station. We had a large welcome ceromony and given rice wine, a key and a passport. After the music and dancing we were allowed to walk around the top of the walls. I can safely say they should still be there in 100's of years to come. You should take the chance to walk part of the walls. The view across the city is marvelous. I should think the runners were not bothered about sightseeing.

Don Fraser
Feb 12, 2006 20:59
  • RITA
Hi Don,
Rita has not made any comments yet in this thread. :-)
Feb 12, 2006 21:12
  • YMASIMON
But, may I know how I can join this event in Xi'an? Do I need buy my own ticket at the gate of the Wall or there are some agencies who run such tours?

Anyway, it really sounds attractive to me...

Thank you,

Simon
Feb 23, 2006 04:52
  • MARCCHINA
look at www.xianmarathon.com lasttime it was up with all information, now they are updating it i think because theire is now a message with soon avilable on
cheers
Marc
Feb 23, 2006 07:33
  • ROGERINCA
Wow !!! Conny, your post is so interesting !!

First, I was not aware of the existence of this beautiful Wall in your city of Xi’an, or of the history behind it !! And, where was I able to find more comprehensive information about it ??? Of course, here in the TCG, which has an excellent and informative page of information and photos on this subject. I will have to add this locale to my travel itinerary on one of my next visits to China !!!

Next, one does not have to have a degree in engineering, just some common sense, to realize the minimal impact of some runners on the pathway surface of a wall which has such great ‘mass’ !! …… The wall now stands 12 meters (40 feet) tall, 12-14 meters (40-46 feet) wide at the top and 15-18 meters (50-60 feet) thick at its base. It covers 13.7 kilometers (8.5 miles) in length with a deep moat surrounding it……(source: TCG).

The body mass of the average runner, whether Chinese or some other nationality/ethnicity, usually is not that great (unlike the average non-running, 107 kg guy like me,.…ha ha). The environmental impact on the basic structure/foundation of the Wall would be miniscule/negligible, and the impact on the pathway surface itself, would be no different than that which is sustained, over the course of time, with tourists who in great numbers on any given day, walk the Wall to enjoy its grandeur. Looking at this from another perspective, one would have to theorize that year in and year out, the natural elements of sun, wind, rain, and temperature variations, would have a far greater impact on this Wall, than an infrequent (annual event) group of humans running upon its surface.

I think this is a great way to celebrate and bring attention to this grand and beautiful aspect of your city and China as a whole. Have fun Conny !!!! :) :)

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Marathon upon the City Wall
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code