Menu
Is July still a relatively good time to go Hangzhou
Jun 21, 2004 01:49
Hi I am planning to go Shanghai some time 3rd week of July. I am wondering if it is worth the while for me to make a trip to Hangzhou during this period of the year which is generally hot. Would the lake still be interesting for me to go at this point in time????

Appreciate if anyone could give me some tips. Thanks a million.

Jun 21, 2004 09:33
  • DAISY
The heat can be unbearably intense during the summer. Fortunately, the many trees around the lake and in the hills do provide cover from the worst of the sun. The average temperature in the summer months is about 29 degrees centigrade.
Spring and autumn are the most pleasant months and last for about two or three months each. There are often rainy showers during this period but the Lake takes on an almost mystical appearance in the fog and the respite from the heat the showers bring is often welcome.
But I think the beauty always has it magic enchantment.
Most visitors to Shanghai will come to Hangzhou, "the most beautiful and magnificent city in the world", and the stark contrast between the two cities is incredible. Hangzhou can get very busy but the sheer size of the area around the West Lake, means that it is always possible to find a bit of peace and quiet.
Enjoy your visit in Hangzhou :)
Jun 21, 2004 09:35
  • DENNIS
Hi Cathy,

Hangzhou, is a city that beckons a a visitor all year round anytime of the day! Don't just limit yourself to the West Lake...there are a dozen more amazing sites around it!

Happy Travelling,
Dennis

P.S. Read my article on Hangzhou for further info.
Jun 21, 2004 10:18
  • BETH
The time you choose is just the rain season of Hangzhou, and the 1st and 2nd ten days of August will have typhoon frequently. So you'd better take an umbrella with you: )

Jun 25, 2004 09:35
Hi Daisy, Dennis and Beth, thank you very much for your reply. Looks like it may still be worthwhile for me considering going to Hangzhou in July.

Can anyone advise if it is easy for me to move around by myself in Hangzhou to cover the various place of interest in 2 days or is it better to take up a tour package with a local tour agent.

Thanks n regards
Jun 25, 2004 17:22
  • CATHY001
I think take a guided private tour would be easier for you if you can not speak Chinese. Otherwise you may encounter some unexpected problems such as the taxi driver may not be able to understand your destination, it may hard for you to find out what you want in the restaurant, and so on.

Another suggestion is that try to find a college students who is majored in English as your guide, they will not charge you a coin, but just to find a chance to practice their oral English.
Post a Reply to: Is July still a relatively good time to go Hangzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code