Menu
moving to shenzhen
Jun 22, 2004 09:05
  • SHAOTUZI
My husband and I will be moving to Shenzhen in August for business purposes. We have lived in China before, but never for as long as we will this time and never in Shenzhen. I am a bit lost as to how to prepare for the move and what to expect upon arrival. Would any expat currently living there now like to help me out by connecting with me on a one-on-one basis and answering a couple of my questions? Please e-mail me at yahoo.com|howetokruse if you are willing to help. Thanks! --Katie
Jun 22, 2004 13:53
  • JOJO2
The area is actually divided into three parts, the Special Economic Zone (SEZ), Shenzhen City and Shenzhen County. Virtually all the action is situated around the SEZ which is the business and financial heart of the city and the reason why most visitors come to Shenzhen. Although there can be no doubt that the SEZ is a huge financial and commercial success, it is not a particularly charming or pleasant city. Businessmen and delegates from all over China regularly visit Shenzhen to see this economic success in action.

The general feeling however, is that the city lacks something in other areas. The absence of history and culture here make Shenzhen seem almost desolate and the abundant wealth and investment do not compensate for the lack of soul and the drab atmosphere in the city.

Jun 22, 2004 13:56
  • ANNA
The city is well located next to Hong Kong and a day trip to the big city for some culture is very convenient.
Jun 22, 2004 13:57
  • AMOISIS
there are an abundance of hotels and other facilities catering to the business traveler which help to make a stay in Shenzhen more enjoyable.
Jun 22, 2004 14:09
  • ALAN
Due to its economic boom, Shenzhen is filled with pickpockets and beggars. Please be aware of your personal belongings, especially at the border check points, outside hotels and in street markets. Beggars are observed at many areas and are now what they look to be! Most are not poor at all.
Jun 22, 2004 14:17
  • ALAN
do not take photos anywhere in the customs building when going from Shenzhen to Hongkong, even innocent ones, and even if there are no 'no photos' signs anywhere in sight. I got the scare of my life!
Jun 22, 2004 22:58
  • SHAOTUZI
Thanks for your help. I was also wondering how I should pack. What is readily available and what is not? We will probably be in Shenzhen for several years and I'm not sure which items I should spend the effort and time bringing over with me. Also, when we arrive, we have about two weeks to find an apartment. What areas of the city are nice places to live and/or have other foreigners living nearby?
Jun 23, 2004 10:08
  • AUSTIN
The climate in Shenzhen is fairly similar to that of Hong Kong and temperatures here can be almost sub tropical with intense summer heat and lots of rain!
The summers here are exceptionally long, running for about six months and temperatures can reach 35 degrees C. August and September are the best seasons to visit when the temperature is pleasant and the days are long.
Shenzhen has abundant rainfall particularly during May to September, and the rain will attact at any moment, so make sure you bring your umbrella for both rain and shine.
Jun 23, 2004 10:21
  • BONITA
As to the living environment, I think Futian, Nanshan and Luohu these three districts belong to the Special Economic Zone, and are much better than other.
I found this for you anout the flat rental in Shenzhen:
http://phoenix.linksee.com/cgi-bin/class/bbs_forum.cgi?forum=hrent&read=000890-000000.msg

Hope it can help:)
Jun 24, 2004 10:37
  • DAISY
Hi, the post in this community may help you in flat rental.
http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?pp=&i=1652

Hope it is suitable for you :)
Jul 10, 2004 18:57
  • JIMCHINA
Welcome to shenzhen.
Hope you will like this city. :)

Post a Reply to: moving to shenzhen
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code